Nothing turns a homeowner into Heloise faster than putting a house on the market.
You have to keep the house presentable at times because potential buyers can show up on short notice. The Soap and Detergent Association has these ideas for quick cleanups and preventive maintenance to make the job easier:
* Use disposable wipes to clean toilets and kitchens in a flash.
* Put a small amount of scented cleaner in your toilet bowls every night before bed. In the morning, the bathrooms will smell fresh and clean.
* Use a tub-and-tile spray cleaner after every shower so walls stay clean.
* Steam cleaning gets gunk off the microwave oven's interior quickly. Add four tablespoons of lemon juice to a cup of water in a microwave-safe, four-cup bowl. Boil for five minutes in the microwave, allowing the steam to condense on the inside walls, then wipe clean.
* Wipe up spills as they happen to keep them from becoming bigger cleaning jobs.
* Fill the kitchen sink with hot water and dishwashing detergent before you prepare a meal. As you finish using large pots and pans that won't fit in the dishwasher, you can add them to the soapy water to soak. By the time you're finished, they'll clean up quickly.
* Use rugs or mats at all entrances to catch dirt before it reaches floors and carpets.