Questions to ask friends or colleagues who recommend a real estate agent:
* How satisfied were you with the agent?
* Did you feel the representation was good?
* Did the agent keep you informed at each step of the process?
* Was the agent accessible and reliable?
* Was the agent helpful? In what ways?
* How well does the agent know various neighborhoods?
* What mistakes did the agent make?
* In what area did the agent lack knowledge?
Questions to ask potential real estate agents:
* Are you willing to communicate in my preferred way (phone or e-mail or both)?
* How long have you been in the business?
* How many transactions do you handle annually?
* How much time do you expect to spend with me and working on my behalf?
* What advanced training do you have? What professional awards have you won?
* Can you provide references?
Sellers can also ask:
* What advertising mediums will be used to sell the house?
* How often will open houses be held? Does the house always have to be ready for showing?
* Will the home be listed on the Internet? Will that include photos?
* How many homes have you sold in my neighborhood?
* How much do you think my home is worth and how did you come up with that number?
* How will you help me prepare my home for sale?
Buyers can also ask:
* How well do you know the area?
* Will you show me properties beyond those listed by your firm?
* Which inspectors, appraisers or mortgage bankers will you refer me to?