Oh, home sweet home. Georgetown, upset by Navy at Annapolis Wednesday, returned to McDonough, Gymnasium last night and whipped a winless-on-the-road Iona team, 81-67.

The victory raised the Hoyas' record to 7-10 at home, 10-3 overall, and showcased John Duren, Georgetown's freshman point guard.

Duren got the Hoyas off to a fast start, easily attacking Iona's zone defenses. The Hoyas, exceptionally sharp at the start of the game, had a quick 10-point lead and were never in any trouble thereafter.

Duren finished with 16 points, six rebounds, five assists and had only one turnover. Derrick Jackson of Georgetown led all scorers with 19 points and 6-9 teammate Ed Hopkins had 17. Kevin Hamilton scored 17 points for Iona, now 6-7 overall and 0-6 on the road.

The Gales hardly looked like the team that had uspet St. John's earlier in the week.

Georgetown had a 4-0 lead before the visitors from New Rochelle, N.Y., dribbed the ball. The Hoyas controlled the tap and freshman guard John Duren started a superb half by hitting a 20-foot jumper.

Then, Larry Long stole the ensuing inbound pass, on Georgetown's full-court press, and scored. It was an omen of how easy a first half the Hoyas would have. They led, 42-30, at intermission.

For Iona, Kevin Hamilton, a guard who has been shooting with 38 per cent accuracy, connected on six of his first eight 20-footers over Georgetown's 2-1-2 zone defense.

But this marksmanship was almost equaled by the entire Georgetown team. The Hoyas hit 10 of their first 11 shots and finished the half with 71 per cent accuracy, making 20 of 28 shots.

Iona's variety of zone defenses offered little resistance. Center Ed Hopkins, starting his second straight game in place of 6-11, 225-pound Tom Scates because coach John Thompson wanted to press, made three layups on Georgetown's first five possessions.

Each team came against a different zone and Duren, the 6-3 powerhouse from Dunbar High, assisted on two of them. Duren's play was a complete turnabout from his performance against Navy.

Duren played a nearly perfect first half. He made all five of his field goal attempts and was credited with four assists. His only mistake was a turnover.

Iona, which had allowed its first 12 opponents 53.2 per cent field-goal accuracy, couldn't stop him. But Georgetown coach John Thompson could, by giving Duren a rest in the seventh minute of the game. But he was back two possessions later and immediately hit a 15-foot jumper, increasing the Hoya lead to 24-14.

The cushion gave Thompson a chance to experiment. At one point he went with sophomore Scates and 6-8 Gary Wilson, who had just returned from a knee injury, as a power lineup, in contrast to the quick, pressing team he started.

Both teams played raggedly at the start of the second half, although Duren hit his first attempt. In five minutes, the Hoyas' advantage had increased only two points, to 50-38.