Reprinted from yesterday's late edition.

Tommy Scates came off the bench in the second half and without scoring a point, sparked lethargic Georgetown University past St. Joseph's 16-64 before 2,200 at McDonough gymnasium last night.

"Scates was the difference,," said an obvously pleased Georgetown coach John Thompson. "We were a little flat in the first half. Maybe we were a little down because of the loss to Seten Hall. We played with a little more fire in the second half."

In the opening minutes, the Hawks threatened to blow the Hoyas right out of their own gym. After Al Dutch's 15-footer pushed georgetown ahead, 2-0, the Hawks maneuvered for three easy layups at the expense of a slow-reacting man-to-man defense to take a 7-1 lead.

With John Duren and Derrick Jackson hitting from outside the active St. Joseph's 3-2 zone, the Hoyas, now 12-4, jumped ahead, 24-16, at the seven -minute mark.

But the poised visitors got good scoring inside from 6-foot-6 junior Mike thomas and 6-9 sophomore Adrian Hubbard and a couple of 20-footers from Zane Major to ease ahead, 29-28, with 2:50 to play in the opening half.

Although the rebounds were even at halftime, 13-13, St. Joseph's been limited the Hoyas to a single shot the final few minutes of the hald.

A Dutch follow-up basket and a breakway by Jackson, who led all scorers with 20 points, were the only field goals by Georgetown in the last 6 1/2 minutes of the half.

Thomas hit a short jumper from the side to give the surprising Hawks a short-lives 33-32 edge at intermission.

Little did St. Joseph's know what was being brewed for it in the second half.

The 6-11, 240-pound Scates parked himself in the middle of the Hoyas' 2-1-2 zone and St. Joseph's fell apart.

With the score knotted 38-38, Scates blocked a Hawk shot and Jackson immediately converted it into a basket to put the host ahead for good.

"I told Tommy just to stand there and not give up any layups," said Thompson. "That's what he did."

Scates played only 16 minuted, but destroyed the Jawks' game plan. Nine of St. Joseph's 15 first-half goals were on layups or slam dunks. In the second half, the Hawks got only three close-in shot while Scates was roaming the lane.

Meanwhile, the Hoyas, with Jackson hitting his sling-shot jumper, Ed Hopkin sneaking inside for garbage buckets and reserve Mike McDermott coming off the bench to contribute 11 points forged ahead, 70-53, with four minutes to play.

Scates picked off only three rebounds and blocked three shots but his mere presence unraveled the once-confident Hawks.

"My only responsibility was to stop the layups." said Scates.

Thompson was equally pleased when his enforcer drew a charging foul on Major late in the game as St. Joseph's (9-3) gamely tried to fight back.

Major, 6-4 and 165, was fighting a losing battle when ne tried to barrel over Scates, who was planted in the lane.

"i didn't feel a thing." Scates said with a laugh.