In 1968, player representative for the Redins Carl Kammerer hardly envisioned a ture as liaison for the Nuclear Regulatory commission.

He had taken graduate studies at San Francisco State in the off-season, taught school and intended to make Old World history his specialty.

Now hs is director of congressional affairs for an independent agency that licenses the commercial use of nuclear energy.

As if to assure his interviewer that he did not have his chubby fingers anywhere near a contraption that could touch off World War II, Kammerer said, "The agency's function to protect the public's health and safety."

Although he had intended to return to his own Carlos, Calif., home after ending his career as a defensive end under coach Vince combardi in 1969, he evolved into what he wills "a public person" in Clarksville, Md.

He and two others organized a Kiwanis club there and he became president. Kammerer even padded his 38-inch waist to play anta Claus for a women's club.

One public interest led to another and he became caught up in the "unique" appeal of Washington. He became involved into Congressional liaison for ACTION, the umbrella organization which includes the Peace Corps. VISTA and Older Americans Programs.

He handled the legislative programs for Secretary John Volpe in the Department of Transportation before Volpe was appointed ambassador to Italy:

Next was the shift to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and now he is so committed to living in the area that he is building a new home "with several fireplaces" on a spread in Clarksville. He keeps horses and a pony for two subteenage daughters.

One of Kammerer's other hobbies is seeing boxing bouts. He grew from a featherweight to a heavyweight boxer in high school in his native Lodi, Calif., and continued at what used to be known as College of The Pacific.

He was drafted in the eighth round by the San Francisco 49ers to be a linebacker and played that position until traded to the Redskins for the 1963 season.

Kammerer was switched to defensive end here and came to enjoy thwarting quarterbacks, knocking them out of the passing cup.

He played at 240 pounds but despite his 6 feet, 3 inches he was a fortunate fellow to play sports at all.

At the age of five, he suffered third-degree burns of the right leg. His mother was burning trash in an old-time wash tub and he had a braided electric cord that he dipped into the tub until it caught fire. Then he would whirl the cord about his head.

His clothes caught fire and only quick help from his mother and an aunt prevented more critical injuries.

He missed a year of playing in college because of an injury he suffered working in a logging camp.

He suffered a mosiac fracture of the hip, many irregular cracks within a three-inch area, when a 60-foot tree being dragged by a caterpillar machine broke loose and hit him at what seemed like 90 miles an hour, as he remembers it.

During the year off from football he concentrated in becoming a student. That led to teaching, that led to interest in public affairs; now he feels he is doing something eminently worthwhile with his pleasant personality.

How does he get along with legislator?

"Well, I say that the 95th Congress is the finest we've ever had," he remarked, intending to be welcome by it.