Paint Branch and Woodward their first Maryland basketball tournament, won their class championships yesterday at Cole Field House.

Tracy Jackson, The Washington Post player of the year, scored 34 points, collected nine rebounds and clocked three shots to lead Paint Branch to a 76-52, triumph over Edgewood of Baltimore County in the Class B title game.

Stu Strang's three-point play and Dave Raiford's six free throws in the final 1 1/2 minutes lifted Woodward over hustling North Hagerstown, 60-55; for the Class A championship.

In title games last night, Beall (16-10) faced Brunswick (20-6) for the Class C crown at and Potomac (21-5) met Blair (16-8) for Class AA honors.

"It was a perfect season," said smiling Paint Branch coach Hank Galotta. "It couldn't have ended any better."

Jacd to make his final high school game a memorable one. The 6-foot-5 strongman destroyed the Rams inside. Edgewood's 6-4 look-alike to Jackson. Charles (Tubb) Bradley, got into foul trouble early trying to muscle the muscler.

Jackson poured in 10 points in the second period and Paint Branch held a 35-24 lead at intermission.

The Panthers, with Jackson, Dave Emanuel and Dana Robinson forcing seod's offense.

Bradley, with 17 points, and Don Poling with 12 provided most of the Rams's scoring in the early going. They had 16 of Edgewood's 24 points in the first half.

Jackson, who made 16 of 20 shots, was scoring from everywhere. His two slam-dunks in the second half turned the game into the rout the enthusiastic Paint Branch rooters were waiting for.

He and Elwood Matthews each hit three buckets in the third period to give the Panthers (24-3) a 53-38 lead going into the final eight minutes.

Edgewood (23-4) ran off eight straight points in two minutes early in the fourth period to pull to 59-48.

But while making their rally the Rams lost Bradley on fouls. Matthews sank two free throws as Bradley went to the bench, then Jackson stole two consecutive passes and raced in for stuffs.

On the last rim-shaker, which gave Paint Branch a 66-48 lead with three minutes to play, Jackson hung on the rim with both hands as if to say, "I'm king of this court."

"I wasn't hanging up there on purpose, I felt that guy go under me and I didn't want to get hurt," said Jackson, who was charged with a technical foul for his basket-hanging.

Edgewood's fine season ended in a barrage of missed shots and turnovers. It misfired on 11 of its 12 final shots and lost the ball for the 23d and 24th time of the game.

Jackson had plenty of help from his teammates. Matthews finished with 18 points and nine rebounds, while Robinson chipped in with 10 points and Emanuel with eight.

Woodward had a 12-point lead late in the second half thanks to the outside shooting of all-Met Chip Rosenberg (16 points) and the inside work of Rich Schwartz (nine points).

Two quick jumpers by North Hagerstown's Ted Schoeck and a layup by Kenny Keyes sparked a surge that put the Hubs six back at 30-24 at intermission.

The Hubs fell behind by nine points midway in the third period but again battled back and trailed, 46-42, after three periods.

Keyes, the Hubs' leading scorer, was resting with four fouls, but Schoeck hit two baskets, the second a follow-up, 12-foot bank shot, and the game was tied at 49-49 with 4:19 remaining.

Keyes returned and forced three steals from the usually sure-handed Wildcats, but his team was unable to move ahead.

A three-point play by Stu Strang with 1:27 left gave Woodward a 54-49 advantage.

After another Woodward ball-handling miscue, Tim Spickler sank a basket.Keyes forced another steal and Schoeck raced in for a layup to cut the deficit to 54-53 with 37 seconds left.

Again the Hubs got another break as Keyes came up with a defected pass and drew a foul. The 6-foot-2 senior missed the first of his one-and-one foul shots and Raiford came up with the rebound and was fouled with 26 seconds on the clock.

Raiford sank two free throws to give Woodward, which also won the state Class A soccer title, a 56-53 lead. In between desperation misses by North Hagerstown. Raiford sank four straight free throws in the final 20 seconds to ice the victory.