Professional boxings spreading troubles were blamed yesterday for knocking another tournament off television. World Television Championships, which were carried on an independent network on Friday nights since March 11, were suspended indefinitely.
Meanwhile, one of the risks of scheduling Muhammad Ali's title defense against Alfredo Evangelista of Spain at Capital Centre May 16 was removed when a federal judge in Chicago dismissed a suit by Madison Square Garden. That corporation had asked that the champion be prevented from fighting until he honored a contract to fight Duane Bobick at the Garden.
In another development yesterday, promoter Don King said he had reinstated the three consultants he had suspended - Paddy Flood, All Braverman and public relations assistant Gordon Peterson.
"I deeply apologize to my three friends," King said. "Where I have castigated those who have prejudge me in recent weeks, I now realize that I have committed the came grevious wrong to Paddy, Al and Gordon by my failure to judge a man innocent until proven guilty."
King's tournament suspended by ABC-TV two weeks ago pending an investigation, federal court in Houston Thursday. Featherweight Kenny Weldon charged his Houston representative, Harland Haas, and Riverdale N.Y., booking agent, George E. Kanter, with conspiring to defraud him of $2,500 of his $7,500 purse for a tournament bout.
In addition, junior middleweight Ike Fluellen has said he was invited to particpate in the tournament and promised a world ranking even though he had not fought for 1 1/2 years, and heavyweight Scott LeDoux claimed that King associates controlled most of the fighters in the tournament.
A grand jury in Baltimore is investigating LeDoux's charges.
World Television Championships president Hank Schwartz was quoted by United Press Internationl in New York City as saying that he suspended indefinitely telecasts of his bouts because, "We lost advertising support, at least temporarily, because of the recent scandal. Our advertisers made it clear that they are delaying, not canceling, their commitment."
Schwartz said his decision did not in any way reflect on the legitimacy of the bouts and noted that they will proceed without television. He hopes they will be televised later.
"Our tournament is a good, clean tournament with good, honest people, Schwartz said. "Once the bad apples are weeded out of boxing, our tournament will flourish again."
Schwartz began his tournament after the start of the U.S. Boxing Championships, promoted by Don King Productions and funded at about $1.5 million by ABC-TV.
The victory for Aliin the $4 million breach of contract suit was the first cheerful spinff for promoter King and ABC in last few weeks.
The bout also has been put in jeopardy by ABC's concern about adverse publicity suggesting Evangelista is not a suitable opponent.
The Garden's suit set forth that Ali had signed a 52.5 million contract on Nov. 24 to fight Bobick in New York during February. U.S. District Court judge John Powers Crowley ruled there had been a "mutual abandonment of contract."
He noted that Ali returned a $125,000 advance for training expenses and that the Garden solicited the champion to help publicize a substitute bout between Bobick and Ken Norton scheduled for May 11.