Reprinted from yesterday's late editions.

Alan Green bombed in a 16-yard attempt with 2 1/2 minutes remaining in the second overtime period to lift the struggling Washington Diplomats over the St. Louis Stars, 2-1, in a North American Soccer League game last night before 12,015 at RFK stadium.

THe feisty striker from England who knocked home both goals in his debut to defeat these same Stars in mid-May, became the hero again in his first appearance at RFK.

Shut off most of the game, Green took a nice pass from Sonny Askew, cut inside two defenders and uncorked a right-footed attempt that sailed over goalie John Jackson's head and landed in the right corner of the net.

"In overtime games, you don't want to waste yourself by running backward and sideways or getting back on defense, said the quick 5-foot-8 forward. "I got the pass from Sonny, saw a space between two men and just whacked it."

Washington has won all three overtime games in which it has been involved.

"Every one takes about 10 years off my life," Viollet said, "but if you have won that way, it should help you."

The Dips, mired in a horrible offensive slump with only one goal in their last three games, came out smoking in the first half.

They kept the stubborn Stars bottled up in their own territory almost completely for the first 15 miniutes while creating several excellent chances of their own.

Green, who had missed the last two games with strained knee ligaments, came close to putting the ball in the net when he headed a pass from midfielder Jim Redfern just wide at the 10 minute mark of the first half.

Moments later, Washington gave its partisan fans something to cheer about. Mike Lester took a fine crossing pass from Redfern and found Bobby Stokes all alone eight yards from St. Louis goalie Jackson.

He waited for Jackson, who was busy most of the night (seven saves), to commit himself and easily booted the ball into the right corner to put the Dips ahead, 1.0.

Instead of pressuring the Star defense, the Dips seemed to relax following their goal and allowed the visitors to get back into the game.

Dennis Vaninger, the only man in the Star lineup with a goal to his credit, looped a long lead pass to the midfielder Bob O'Leary, who had streaked pass Washington Keeper, Fric Martin came out to challenge O'Leary, but he was unable to stop the seven-yard shot that forged a 1-1 tie at the 30:46 mark.

The goal was the first one of the season for St. Louis scored by anyone other than Vaninger (six goals) or the injured Fred Binney (seven goals). A whistle blown by referee Paul Avis just as the ball entered the Washington net was discounted because a foul called on Mike Lester was committed after the ball had crossed the goal line.