Churchill's veteran, ball-control offense overcame a one-goal halftime deficit with three scores in the second half yesterday for a 5-3 victory over Springbrook in a Montgomery County AA League soccer opener at Churchill.

Joey Fuchs, shifty senior forward, scored two goals, the latter with 10 minutes left in the game, to insure Churchill's final margin.

"We weren't playing our style in the first half; we were trying to go too fast with the ball," said Churchill coach Henry Danver, whose squand fell behind, 3-2, in the opening 40 minutes as Springbrook capitalized on two penalty kick opportunities. "In the second half we were picking our heads up and looking for people to pass to.

Churchill, starting nine seniors from the 16-man roster, outshot Springbrook, 18-6, in the second half and quickly tied the game. Blue Devil goalie Phil Czeh stopped two Bulldog shots from close range before Churchill right wing Andre Rego fired the ball across the goal into the left corner to make the score 3-3.

Churchill kept control in its offensive half and finally went ahead on a penalty kick after Fuchs, who had 10 goals a year ago, was tripped by Springbrook fullback Jim Voell to the left of the goal. Thomas Natelli (nine goals in '76) planted the free kick in the left corner for a 4-3 Churchill advantage with 16 minutes remaining.

Springbrook tested Churchill's new defensive personnel early in the first half and came up with two successful penalty kicks sandwiched around a two-on-one break for its 3-2 halftime lead.

Steve Kobren, Springbrook junior forward a national 16-and-under soccer skills champion this summer, recorded both penalty kicks to the left of Churchill gaolie Steve Ertel and assisted on Springbrook's other score.

A pass from Springbrook halfback Neil Tennyson was knocked away from teh charging Ertel by Kobren, and Blue Devil teammate Gordon Bean knocked the ball in the empty net from 15 yards out.

Forward Jared Schneidman of Churchill outraced Voell to the ball and knocked a slow roller by the attacking Czeh for the Bulldogs' first score, tying the game after 25 minutes.

After Bean's tally gave Springbrook a 2-1 lead, Fuchs intercepted a clearing pass by Blue Devil fullback Jack Sharp and kicked the ball into the right corner ofthe net.