Maryland's scoring machine malfunctioned just slightly in its key parts - Greg Manning and Albert King - and the delicious George Washington Colonials upset the 12th-ranked Terps for the second straight year. 101-90, at Smith Center last night.

GW dealt Maryland its first loss in six years, even though star forward Les (High Rise) Anderson was on the bench with foul trouble most of the second half.

The Colonials slowly pulled away in the first half, fattered the lead when King left with a wrenched knee and went into a four-corner delay game to deal the knockout punch after Maryland pulled within 93-86 with 1:41 left.

GW guard Bob Lindsay scored 25 points and center Mike Zagardo added 23.

The Terrapins were behind, 54-45, at the half without once looking smooth in the first 20 minutes.

Maryland missed easy shots, took many poor ones, turned the ball over nine times and got itself in foul trouble, all much to the delight of the GW crowd.

GW had questioned its own guard capabilities before the game, worrying that Greg Manning, Billy Bryant and Jo Jo Hunter might combine for triple figures while its own guards got lost in the Terps breeze to the hoop.

Instead, GW guard Bob Lindsay, starting for the second time, came out firing and scored 13 points in the first 10 minutes as GW patiently started to break open a tight game for a 30-25 lead.

GW's front line went to work in the next 10 minutes. Les (High Rise) Anderson scored on a fast-break layup, an 18-footer and a quick shot from the foul line with seconds left in the first half.

Anderson's last score came after GW had whiled away 1:30 in a four-corner delay offense, and for some reason, Maryland helped out by switching to a rare zone. Center Mike Zagardo had eight points in the last 10 minutes of the half.

Lindsay and Anderson had 15 each in the first half, while Maryland's high-point man was Hunter with 10.

Albert King, the thermostat of the Temps' machine, hit only two of eight field-goal attempts and one of four foul shots in the first half.

Manning, the Terps' 80 per cent shooter, seemed intimidated by GW's front line. The freshman took just three shots, hiting one.

The two first-year players are emerging more and more every game as key elements to the Terps' success. And when they're both off, the Terps are in trouble.

GW outrebounded the Terps, 22-16, and not a blazing 62 per cent in the half.

It was apparent that Maryland coach Lefty Driesell had some instructions for King at halftime, because the lanky forward came out firing in the second half.

It is believed that when the going gets rough for the Terps. King is the one who will be told to get going.

He scored the Terps' first four points and stole the bail, helping to whittle the lead to 60-54.

King then twisted his knee and limped off the court, and in the next minute the Terps were in disarray. In one King-less stretch, they turned the ball over on three straight possessions, and the Colonials capitalized with three fast-break baskets for a 63-55 lead.

King then came back, limping as badly as before.

To make matters more complicated. Hunter and GW guard Tom Tate began exchanging grimaces and what looked to be unkind words every time they were within sight of each other.

The hobbled King could not immediately rectify this, nor the Terps' deficit, as GW moved to a 73-59 lead with 11:46 left.