Jo Jo Hunter's jump shot and Albert King's two free throws gave Maryland a 109-108 victory over North Carolina State in triple overtime last night in the first round of the Atlantic Coast Conference basketball tournament.

Maryland, which led by 16 points early in the first half appeared beaten, falling behind by three points with less than 40 seconds remaining in regulation time.

But Larry Gibson cut the lead to 82-81 and after the Terps intercepted the inbounds pass, Albert King put them ahead, 83-82, with a jumper with 20 seconds left.

Only 10 seconds remained when Maryland's Lawrence Boston went to the line for a one-on-one. He made the first, but missed the second. State rebounded, came down court and took two shots before Tiny Pinder hooked in a five-footer with a second left to cause the first overtime.

Maryland trailed the entire first overtime before Jo Jo Hunter's jump shot with two seconds left tied the score.

State surprised the Terps by opening with man-to-man defense, and with Hawkeye Whitney and Kendall Pinder working effectively inside, took a 14-10 lead in the first five minutes.

When State coach Norman Sloan dropped his team into its more customary zone, Ernest Graham, in his starting debut with some help from Lawrence Boston, proceeded to dismantle it.

Graham hit 6 of 6 in the first 20 minutes, all on long range jumpers over the zone.

Boston was equally accurate, hitting 5 for 5 from medium range, including three during an 11-0 Maryland rush that carried the Terrapins to a 27-18 lead with 9:03 left.

From that point both teams abandoned any semblance of patterned offense, often throwing up the first open shot.

Seemingly for the first time all season, everything dropped for Maryland. The Terps finished the first half shooting .636 and the only reason it mally a 51 percent shooter, sank only mally a 51 per cent chooter, sank one of six.

State made things easy, shooting 41 percent but scored the last two baskets of the half to cut the margin to 48-36.

Both teams continued to run-and-gun early in the second half. Graham remaining and the Terps leading 62-53, the margin to 62-55 and Driesell bepicked up his fourth foul with 12:56. A moment later a Pinder basket cut gan to fidgit as his team struggled with the press.

State finally had some help from outside with 10:47 left. Washington D.C. freshman Kenny Matthews hit from the top of the key and was fouled. The ensuing free throw cut the lead to 65-60 and after Hunter was called for travelling, Driesell later and a Warren follow shot with called time out.

A Jones layup made it 65-62 seconds ton and Matthews traded baskets and 9:30 left made the margin one. Bosit was 67-66 with 8:46 left.

Graham returned with eight minutes left and his dunk rebuilt the lead to 73-68.

State cut the lead to 73-72 on two baskets by Matthews, continuing to control the inside. The Pack pulled even with 3:50 to go on another Jones tip-in but a King layups on the inbounds pass put the Terps up, 78-76. Gibson blocked a Clyde Austin jump shot and with three minutes left Driesell asked his team to try and hold the ball.