George Washington turned the ball over on nine of its first 13 possessions and was never in the game as Villanova, class of the Eastern Eight Conference, rolled to a 90-8 victory yesterday. Keith Herron of Mackin High School in Washington D.C., scored 30 points for Villanova.

"This was a big win for us because everyone else in the league has lost at least twice," said Villanova coach Roland Massimino, whose Wildcats improved their conference record to 5-0 and their overall record to 12-4. GW fell to 3-3 in the conference and 8-5 for the year.

Villanova, playing before a standing-room-only crowd of about 3,000, started the game with a full court press and GW players dribbing the ball off their feet, throwing it out of bounds or plain fumbling it away, the Wildcats zipped to a 10-1 lead. It was 3 1/2 minutes before the Colonial's scored a field goal.

George Washington's best ball-handler, guard Bob Lindsay, weakened from the flu, picked up three fouls in the first two minutes.

After their 10-1 burst, the Wildcats kept on coming. A 9-0 spurt midway through the period, with four of the points coming on baskets by Herron, gave them a 36-13 lead.

Herron, a 6-foot-6 senior, was in a class by himself. He had been in a shooting slump the past three games, but was deadly with 15 of 22 from the floor.

Most of those points came off jumpers from the side in the 17-foot range.

Herron would set up low and then pop out from behind a screen and throw in a jumper quicker then GW could say "switch."

"We were worried about him (Herron)," GW coach Bob Tallent said. "We tried to keep him from getting good shots, but they set screens for him and he pops out so quick and gets the shot off. There's not much you can do about it." "You take advantage of what the defense gives you," said Herron, who had 18 of his points in the second half. "But the jumper is what I like. I love shooting that. That's me."

Villanova usually plays a man-to-man defense. Because of foul trouble, the Wildcats called off their full-court press and went to a zone defense 10 minutes into the game. They had a 20-point lead by that time.

"They got that big lead and then they really started taking chances defensively," Tallent said. "Their adrenaline started flowing and they were playing at home. We didn't have much of a chance after the first few minutes."

The Colonials tried to hang in.

Lee Anderson had 12-points and reserve Mike Samson had 10 in the first half to keep the halftime score reasonable, 51-34.

Center Mike Zagardo scored 16 points in the second half so to finish with 20-points. Anderson led GW with 24.

They made 18 of 27 shots, but the rest of the team went 11-for-32.

Villanova shot 73 percent in the first half and 60 per cent for the game.

The final score would not have been as close as it was, had not Massimino cleared his bench with three minutes to play. GW promptly scored 10 straight points.

The Colonials made one serious challenge earlier in the half. An Anderson basket cut the Villanova lead to 61-49 with 14 minutes to play, but Herron took over, scoring eight of Villanova's next 10 points and helped raise the lead to 18 points.

Herron's forward mate, Reggie Robinson, had 17 points in the first half and finished with 22.

The game was to have originally been played Saturday night, but Villanova was stranded in South Bend and Philadelphia was snowed in, so it was postponed until yesterday afternoon.

The Colonials, whose three-game winning streak was snapped, return to Smith Center Tuesday to play Catholic University.