Reprinted from yesterday's late editions

With 14:30 remaining in the second half of last night's George Washington-Catholic Univeristy basketball game, Cardinal Steve Dade pulled down a rebound and whipped it out to teammate Mike McNally. The ball went through the guard's hands and landed in the lap of CU coach Jack Kvancz.

Without a moment's hesitation, Kvancz quickly tossed the ball back to McNally, who streaked the length of the court past bewildered GW defenders for an uncontested layup.

Unfortunately, that was about the only bright spot of the evening for CU. GW dominated the smaller Cardinals inside and were never headed, recording an 87-67 victory before 1,800 excited fans at Brookland Gymnasium.

"I don't think the kids thought they could win," said Kvancz. "GW is a good team. But after we fell behind in the opening minutes and shooting only 27 percent, we still trailed by only 11 at the half."

"I told the kids during intermission we were still in it," he said. "But just by looking at their faces I could see it. They didn't think they could win."

If the shorter Cardinals, who came into last night's non-conference intercity game with a three-game winning streak and six victories in their last seven games, had a look of confidence it would have been difficult to whip GW.

The visitors' front line of 6-10 Mike Zagardo, 6-7 Tom Glenn, and 6-5 Les Anderson did what it wanted inside. The trio was instrumental in helping GW enjoy a 48 32 rebounding advantage.

Zagardo had the best night of his two-year career, 25 points and 18 rebounds. The inside play of Zagardo in the second half kept the Colonials well ahead. During one nine-minute stretch the lefthanded sophomore record 18 of his team's 23 points.

"Mike played great game," said GW coach Bob Tallent. "It's tough to play three forward against a 6-10 center. Unlike the Villanova game, (GW lost 90-83), we started off fast tonight. We were more intense for this one."

GW, 9-5 won the game in the opening five minutes. Anderson and Glenn threw in two baskets each and Zagardo added another on a tipin as GW forged a 10-0 lead.

Stan Cooper finally put his team on the board with two free throws at the 15:35 mark but turnovers and poor shots by CU had taken its toll.

A 15-foot jumper by Cooper with 13:15 left was the first field goal for the Cardinals. Despite the height handicap and poor start, the hustling Cardinals fought back to 25-21 with 4:18 to play.

But GW erupted again. Daryle Charles scored from the top of the key, Bob Lindsey sank two long one-handers, Zagardo made a free throw. Glenn provided a layup and the Colonials went up, 34-21. Two free throws by Dade with three seconds left prevented CU from being shut out the final four minutes.

Three straight GW baskets to open the second half took the starch out of the already drained Cardinals.

The partisan crowd had only the Kvancz assist to McNally to cheer about in the final half as GW maintained a 12-18 point advantage the rest of the way.

"I didn't believe that play. The ball bounced right to me and I just caught it and threw it back to Mike," said Kvancz with a smile. "Mike was yelling at me, 'Coach, coach, what do I do?' I didn't know what to do so I told him to go."

Everybody froze on the floor except McNally who dropped in the layup.

Tallent was one of the first objectors to the imprompts play but his yelling was drowned by the crowd.

"I don't blame Kvancz," said Tallent."You get a basket the best way you can."