Reprinted from yesterday's late editions

Late in the first half against Stonehill last night, Georgetown basketball Coach John Thompson was called for two technical fouls. Everybody in the gym, including the referee who called the fouls and the opposing coach, thought Thompson brought it about on purpose -- the old tactical technical trick.

The "Ts" did little to awaken the sluggish Hoyas, whose 13-game winning streak skidded to a halt in two road losses last week. GU led by only six points with 5:40 to play but, finally, with Craig Shelton scoring at will underneath, handed the Chieftains a 77-55 defeat.

"I didn't take them on purpose," Thompson said of the technicals assessed by Ernie Cage with 2:47 left in the first half. "It didn't help, anyway. We played like the weather --awful. . . I thought I was a novice coach who came here five years ago, starting off again."

Cage said he almost called a third technical on Thompson. That calls for automatic banishment and Stonehill would have gotten six free throws instead of the four that Bill McMillan made to bring the Chieftains within 25-23.

"I know he got the technicals on purpose. He was awfully close to a third," said Cage. "He kept saying the four-letter word. And everybody in here could hear him, it was so dead."

Stonehill coach Harry Hart said he was so sure Thompson did it "as a momentum" thing that he ordered a spread offense until the howling and noise in the McDonough Gym gallery of 968 had died down.

But Georgetown's fans responded better than the players. The Hoyas had played in Boston and Chicago in four nights last week and were obviously tired and unispired for this game. A sign of their fatigue was that most of their 12 missed free throws (out of 31 attempts) hit the front of the rim.

It took 28 minutes and a lot of foul trouble against the visitors before Georgetown led by as many as 10 points. Shelton and Derrick Jackson were mainly responsible for that, safely increasing the Hoya record to 16-4.

Shelton was a one-armed bandit to Stonehill. The 6-foot-7 sophomore forward, who is playing with broken bone in his nonshooting right wrist, scored 19 of his 24 points in the second half. All but two were scored when it mattered.

"He's nice to have," said Thompson. "It used to be when we played awful, we didn't have one person we could get the ball to and get a layup."