Reprinted from yesterday's late editions.

Lawrence Boston missed an eight-foot jumper with two seconds left in regulation and the Maryland Terrapins fell behind by seven in overtime before losing to Pitt, 89-86, at the Civic Arena Thursday night.

After the Terps dropped to 13-10 overall on the way to Duke Saturday, Boston and point guard Greg Manning accused officials of flagrant miscalls.

De Matha graduate Pete Strickland, recently demoted from Pitt's starting lineup, came in and scored all six of his points in the overtime to lead Pitt to the upset of his old neighbors, upping the Panthers' mark to 13-7.

Strickland made two foul shots to give Pitt a 86-79 lead with 1:45 left in the overtime, but his real horoics came with 10 seconds left. That's when the 6-foot guard, a 76 percent foul shooter, made both one-and-one free throws to put the Panthers up 89-85.

"Those were easily the most pressurized free throws I've shot this year," said Strickland. "I did not think about anything. I just thought briefly there's no way I should miss. You clear your head and hope your body follows.

"This was a special game for me. All my friends go to Maryland. In high school, I spent more time at Maryland than I did at DeMatha - but don't tell my counselor that."

Maryland had used an effective two-one-two zone defense, with part-time help from injured Al King, to control most of the game. The Terps had a 60-51 lead midway through the second half when order slipped away.

Boston, who scored 17 on the night, was on the bench with four fouls when Pitt ran off eight straight points to get back into the contest.

The frist four came from skinny center Ed Scheuermann, who scored a season-high 23 points. On Maryland's side of the court, Manning was called for traveling, had a shot blocked and missed another. Then King had a shot blocked and, quickly, Wayne Williams drove an open lane to bring Pitt to 60-59 with 9:39 remaining in regulation time.

In the ensuing dogfight, Maryland wasted two fast breaks with turnovers. But the Terps led, 76-75, with 38 seconds left when Manning was called for traveling during a stall.

Manning stumbled with no one near, braced himself with his free hand, but clearly continued to dribble the whole time.

"He (the official) said it was a walk," said Manning. "It was terrible - the worst call I've seen in my life."

The Terps had the ball and seven seconds to sink a shot to win in regulation. Manning brought the ball upcourt and got it to Boston, who missed from comfortably makeable range. Gibson's tip was too late.

Scheuermann, the 6-11, 215-pound wonder, pumped around the hoop for the first basket of the overtime for a 79-77 lead, and after Gibson and Boston missed, Larry Harris hit a free throw and volleyed an assist to Sam Clancy for an 82-79 lead with 3:34 left.

Ernest Graham then lost the ball on a misdirected pass, and the Terps turned the ball over twice more.