The Washington Redskins left Navy's football stadium yesterday delighted and dehydrated, even if they could manage only a 6-6 tie against the Baltimore Colts in a mostly rookie scrimmage played in a steamy 98 degrees.

Washington Coach Jack Pardee often thumbed his nose at conservative strategy, much to the delight of Redskin partisans among the 15,000 sweltering in the stands.

His team passed frequently on first down, a rookie completed a fourth-down pass from punt formation, Pardee went for first downs on three other fourth-and-short situations and all afternoon the coaching staff allowed all three quarterbacks to bomb away to receivers on deep routes.

Still, the Redskins could produce only one touchdown, a 19-yard pass from rookie quarterback John Hurley to second-year tight end Reggie Haynes on Washington's first series.

Free-agent kicker Ken McCarron shanked the extra point attempt into the line, a flub that became more important after the Colts' Sanders Shiver returned an interception 47 yards and Delasio Bartley ran a yard for a touchdown early in the fourth quarter.

But Colt backup quarterback Mike Kirkland missed his extra point wide left. Pardee and Colt Coach Ted Marchibroda are such good friends the final outcome seemed proper.

Pardee was all sweat and smiles when it was over.

"While looked like kind of a team for quite a while." he said. "You are always leary after practicing. There's always that fear of never making a first down. We showed continuity on offense. We had good pressure on their quarterbacks, and I was pleased with some of our younger guys."

Hurley, the Redskins' ninth-round draft choice from Santa Clara, clearly pleased Pardee after completing eight of 10 passes for 72 yards and the touchdown. The pass to Haynes was called by offensive co-ordinator Joe Walton from the sideline.

"He showed a lot of poise out there for a young quarterback." Pardee said. "Going in. I had no idea how many of them would perform under pressure."

Hurley smappily moved his team up the field on the opening series, completing two of his three passes on the 65-yard drive before he spotted Haynes breaking for the post with only a single safety on his tail.

"On that pass you read the free safety." Hurley said. "When I saw they were one on one with Reggie, I went to him. It was the perfect call and he made a great catch. I could have smoked a cigarette back there. The guys gave me plenty of time.

"Sure I'm excited. You try to perform as well as you can everyday before you go home. I don't want to go home."

There will be a number of other players who won't have to worry about leaving camp when Pardee cuts down his squad today as the remaining 35 veterans return to Carlisle for their first workout.

Cornerback Mike Williams, an 11th-round draft pick from Texas A&M, was on the receiving end of punter George Roberts' first-quarter pass for a first down. Pardee said Roberts had the option to throw the ball. Williams also intercepted a pass, knocked down two and defended well against the run.

Haynes and wide receivers Walker Lee and Brian Fryer frequently were able to get open deep against Colt defenders. Only badly thrown passes from quarterbacks Tim Ellis and Scott Gardner, the victim of that fourth-quarter interception, prevented more Redskin scoring.

Running back Tommy Reamon, playing with a bad right thumb, gained 46 yards in 10 carriers and showed outstanding speed to the outside. He even caught two passes, despite a cast to his elbow.

Second year defensive end Duncan McColl picked up two of the Redskins three sacks and Dallas Hickman demonstrated that he deserves a further look at outside linebacker.

The Redskins also used the new 34 defense of four linebackers and three rushmen, and Hickman said, "Considering we've only had it in a week, it seems we did all right adjusting to it." The statistics confirmed his analysis because the Colts gained only 117 yards, 53 passing.

Gardner, the former Virginia quarterback, had a rugged afternoon. He was attempting to lob a pass to fullback Jeff Kimney in the fourth quarter but badly underthrew the ball Shiver, a third-year man bidding to start at linebacker for Baltimore, intercepted and weaved down the field to the Redskin 23. Six plays later Bartley scored.

Gardner seemed to be the victim of a bad call five minutes later when Colt defensive end John Bishong batted the football out of his hand as he was throwing from the Colt 46. Wayne Hammond recovered for the Colts to end the game's last serious scoring threat.

The Redskins reported no serious injuries in the scrimmage, and Pardee said it appeared defensive tackle Perry Brooks' knee injury, incurred in practice Friday, is not serious. There was no swelling overnight, pardee said, and team physician Stan Lavine will examine Brooks today . . . Colt punter George Allen, youngest son of the former Redskins coach, kicked in the second half and averaged 40 yards. But he is not expected to heat out veteran David Lee. Redskin center Ted Fritsch attempted a 41-yard field goal in the second quarter, his first kick in competition since St. Norbert's College eight years ago. Later he shook Pardee's hand and thanked him for the opportunity, even if the kick didn't even make it to the end zone.