Mike Monaghan and Dennis HinKamp strode through intermittent showers to place one-two in the Runner's World 24-hour relay concluded yesterday at Fort Meade.

Representing the Baltimore Olympic Club, they clocked the second- and fourth-fastest times in the eight-year history of the event, but could carry their 10-member team only to the runner-up spot behind Alligator B for the team championship.

Monaghan, 20, of Parkville, Md., averaged less than a second slower per meet record held by Terry Baker. Monaghan ran and average mile of 4 minutes 46.6 seconds, to the 4:54.8 Baker clocked last year.

"I didn't expect the time I got," Monaghan said. Between laps I read my previous mile time. Once I saw I was under five minutes I stayed with it.

HinKamp, a 22-year-old University of Missouri student from St. Louis, is a summer intern at a Baltimore television station.

"I was pleased with my time," said HinKamp. "It was my first time running the event so I really have nothing to compare it to. My inspiration came from my reading the Bible between running miles." HinKamp wore a T-shirt of the Fellowship of Christian athletes.

Finishing in third place was 18-year-old Jay Simonetta of Millersville, Md., a member of Alligator B., Simonetta attends Old Mill High School, the indoor and outdoor Maryland AA track champion.

The relay was run a 440-yard-course at Mullins Field. About 220 athletes - 30 teams with a maximum of 10 members each - competed for 25 individual trophies. Medals went to the top five teams.

Each individual ran a mile at a time. Individual winners were determined by their average time for the miles they ran. Winning teams were decided according to total mileage run in the 24-hour period, which began at noon Saturday.

In addition, 50- and 100-mile runrace walks were conducted. Contestants could either run or walk (heel to toe) through the course.

When not running, Monaghan, who had contested the relay four times, works at Babikow Floristin Perry Hall, Md. "I usually run eight to 10 miles a day," Monaghan said. "I used to run a lot in football so I decided to just run."

After 24 hours of running, all Monaghan could think of was sitting in a hot tub and sleeping.

"I tried to stay loose between miles," he reflected, "but I am pretty stiff now. I'll be walking a little slower at work tomorrow but by boss is a runner so he'll sympathize with me."

It was HinKamp's first time running 24 hours and he was not looking forward to next year's meet.

"It's my last weekend in Maryland (before returning to school), so I figured I would either go to Ocean City or come here. I chose here and it looks like the weather was with me." HinKamp said, adding, "I may not get the chance to run the event next year. St. Louis has one but I never go to it. Perhaps sometime in the future I will run it again."

Throughout the grind athletes did many things to keep themselves busy. Some jogged to stay loose. Others tried to catch a quick nap or snacked between runs.

HinKamp said the crucial point came after eight or nine hours. "That was when you were nearly halfway and it seemed like it would never end. We had to vell at each other to keep the pace going."

One Baltimore Olympic Club entrant dropped out with a cramp and knee trouble. All 10 Alligator Bs finished.

Paul Bish, 9, was the youngest participant in the event. Running with him were his brother, John, and father, Cliff.

The brother-sister combination of Rick and Jamie Gildard placed fourth and fifth in the relay. Rick attends Hagestown Junior College and Jamie is a graduate of the University of Maryland.

Traveling farthest to compete was the Screaming Eagles team of Fort Campbell, Ky.