At the end of yesterday's football game between the D.C. Bears and the Washington Ambassadors, the Jersey of Bear free safety Ray Hawkins contained nearly as much dirt as did the Cardozo High School field.

As well it should, since Hawkins harassed Ambassador receivers all afternoon, picking off three passes and making numerous dives to break up others as the Bears won, 12-0, in the charity game between the D.C. Amateur Athletic League rivals.

The game's proceeds benefited both the Metropolitan Police Boys and Girls clubs and D.C. General Hospital. The latter nearly picked up some new customers in the rough-and-tumble match.

"This is a cleaned-up act today," one official commented. "During the regular season, we throw so many flags our arms get tired. If we had to record all the fouls, like in some leagues, we'd fill a notebook."

That was little consolation to Bear defensive end Paul Lucas, who suffered a pulled hamstring in the second quarter. Standing on the sidelines afterward. Lucas turned to some friends in the stands and yelled." See what happens when I play sober?"

Lucas' pain would have been worse, but by that time the Bears held a 6-0 lead. Split end Ted Maduro's diving catch of an 18-yard pass from Carey Fleming early in the first quarter had given the Bears that advantage.

The Ambassadors got a break late in the first quarter when Marlon Bell recovered a Bear fumble of a punt on the Bears' 19-yard line. A penalty moved the hall to the nine, another brought it back to the 15. Then Lucas combined with defensive tackle Joe Collins to sack the Ambassador quarterback, with Lucas recovering the ensuing fumble.

Thereafter, penalties on the Ambassadors continued to plague them and nullify some fine running by Carlton Hill.

The Bears faked a field goal late in the fourth quarter, but Fleming's pass flew over the end zone. On the Ambassadors' first play from scrimmage after that, Hawkins snagged his second interception on a long pass attempt.

A penalty and a pass reception by Phil Davis put the ball on the Ambassador 31. On the fourth play after that, Davis took a short pass and danced his way 18 yards to the three. Fleming sneaked in on the next play, the kick failed and the Bears led, 12-0.

After Hawkins picked off his third pass with just over two minutes left, a group in the stands interrupted its singing of "Hail to the Redskins" with chants of "We want Kilmer."

In the preliminary game, the Brothers Athletic Club, a local touch football powerhouse with a winning percentage to rival the Harlem Globetrotters, surprised nobody by taking a 27-0 triumph over the Northwest Connection.