Derrick Holmes recovered from an early knockdown to register a technical knockout over Tony Hernandez at 2:95 of the sixth and final round in a lightweight six-round preliminary to the Sugar Ray Leonard-Johnny Gant fight last night at Capital Centre.

Holmes, of New Carrollton, Md., dropped Hernandez, of Vineland, N.J., with a looping right 2:48 into the sixth round and applied the finishing touch 11 seconds later to improve his professional record to 3-0.

A Holmes right found Hernandez in the third round and Holmes followed up with a five-punch combination to put the New Jersey fighter down briefly. Holmes was brought down to one knee by a right hook in the fourth.

Middleweight Roger Leonard, Sugar Ray's younger brother, easily raised his record to 5-0 and notched his third knockout, at 2:02 of the third round, over Mario Maldonado of Vineland, N.J.

Leonard, a former National AAU, all-Air Force and all-Service shamp, had a decided reach advantage and used it well, mixing a body attack with combinations to the head.

With 25 seconds left in the second round, Leonard connected with a right uppercut as Maldonado crouched, putting him down briefly

In the next round, a wild-swinging Maldonado got caught against the ropes following a hard Leonard right. Leonard pummeled away until the referee mercifully stopped the mismatch.

In a six-round middleweight match, Odell Leonard of Palmer Park, Md., and Irish Teddy Mann of Baltimore staged a chin-to-chin slugfest that ended with Mann the winner on a split decision.

Leonard, Sugar Ray's cousin, and Mann refused to jab, preferring to trade roundhouse shots to the head and uppercuts to the body. Mann closed fast with snapping lefts to the head to raise his record to 12-3. Leonard fell to 11-5.

Heavyweight Malik Dozier of Bowie was awarded a technical knockout over Quinnie Locklear of Baltimore when Locklear was unable to answer the bell for the second round with an arm injury.

Middleweith Warren Fortune, Palmer Park, took a unanimous decision over outclassed Bud Becker of Wilmington, Del.

In the night's final bout, Tim (Blue) Walker of Washington slugged out a unanimous six-round welterweight decision over Steve (Butterfly) Hughes of Oakcrest, Md.