Bill Dankos scored on a tip-in at the buzzer to lift Catholic to a 61-60 overtime victory over St. Peter's last night at Brookland Gymnasium.

The Cardinals overcame their own missed free throws in the late going when they made only four of their final 10 to improve their record to 5-16.

A technical foul on Peacock guard Paul Siljee and the free throw by Joe Colletta gave Catholic the ball with 59 seconds left and trailing by one, 60-59.

With 12 seconds left, Bill Dooley's shot attempt was blocked by Peacock center Larry Barrett. The Cardinals got the ball back and called time with 10 seconds remaining.

"We just wanted to set up a shot from 12 feet out or so,' Cardinal Coach Jack Kvancz said. "We wanted to get it off within two or three seconds so we'd have a chance to rebound if it missed."

Colletta put it up from the right baseline under pressure and saw the ball ricochet to the left of the hoop.

Dankos, all alone, went up for the tip and missed, Dave Butler missed another tip, Dankos followed with still another miss off the backboard, retrieved it once again and banked in the winner at the buzzer.

Peacock Coach Bob Kelly charged the timekeeper's table at the game's conclusion.

"Time had obviously expired," Kelly said. "The shot (Colletta's) went up with six seconds left. How can they follow it four times before the buzzer goes off? I've coached a long time and never been robbed like this. Kvancz is a good coach and his players are too good to need assistance from the referees."

Kelly also was unhappy about two technicals and the automatic ejection of Jim Brandon, his No. 2 scorer and leading rebounder, in addition to Siljee's technical that set up Catholic's winning shot. The Cardinals took 21 free throws to the Peacock's 12.

St. Peter's held a 52-48 lead with slightly less than four miuntes left in regulation and was working a spread offense in search of a time-consuming sure shot. Kevin Bannon missed but grabbed the offensive rebound and dribbled out toward midcourt.

Then Butler made one of several clutch plays, stealing the ball and driving for a layup to reduce the Cardinal deficit to 52-50 with a 3:24 remaining.

Brandon complained too harshly about being tripped to the referee and was ejected. Colletta, who scored a game-high 21, sank both free throws from the flagrant technical foul.

The Peacocks (10-12) ran 2:27 off he clock to setup Barrett's turnaround jumper and a 54-52 lead. Butler fed Dooley to even the count with 24 seconds left. The visitors had two more chances to win in regulation, but each time Siljee missed from the baseline.