Midfielder Joe Garavante knocked in a rebound from point-blank range with 46 seconds remaining to give top-ranked Johns Hopkins a 13-12 lacrosse victory over Maryland yesterday at College Park.

Garavante's winning goal negated a thrilling Terrapin comeback that saw the host team make up a three-goal deficit and go ahead by one goal all by the Terrapins in the waning moments doomed the home team to its first loss after five victories, and fifth straight loss to Hopkins.

Hopkins, now 9-0, and Maryland gave the vociferous Byrd Stadium crowd of 15,283 all it could expect from a contest between the nation's top two teams.

Maryland scored the game's first goal and Hopkins tied 31 seconds later. The Terps pulled ahead by a (Text Omitted) game," said Blue Jay Coach Henry Ciccarone. "These two teams are so close in telant that, with all things equal, you had to figure it would be close throughout."

Statistically, the game was just as close as the final score. Maryland outshot the Blue Jays by two, 46-44, each team scored a pair of extra-man goals. Eight Hopkins scores came unassisted, nine Terp goals were solos.

Maryland was forced to score most of its goals on individual efforts because of the Hopkins defense in general and sophomore defenseman Mark Greenberg in particular.

The Blue Jays took away the inside pass by sticking to Terp cutters like day-old chewing gum. Bob Boneillo, who came into the game with a team-high 35 assists, got only one as All-America Greenberg used his 6-foot-4 height to block the view inside. Greenberg also made several sparking interceptions of ill-timed Terp passes.

"We kept the pressure on them," Greenberg said. "We couldn't just let them stand back and work plays. Every guy they have will take you to the hoop so we had to be especially aggressive and deny them position."

Boneillo did beat Greenberg twice one on one for unassisted goals in a 2 1/2-minute span to bring Maryland to within 11-10 with 10:22 left.

On Boneillo's second score, Greenberg was called for slashing and penalized for one minute. Terrapin Bob Ott won the ensuing faceoff, but Boneillo's pass over the head of a wide-open Klay Johnson in front of the goal gave Hopkins the ball and a reprieve.

Hopkins then got on the offensive, but Terp goalia Bryant Waters came dangerously out of the crease to make one fine save and, seconds later, another interception of a short pass. Then Maryland's Mike Duffy got downfield on a breakaway, carried the ball through traffic and whipped in the tying shot from directly in front of the goal with 5:18 left.

Seconds later, Terp midfielder Terry Kimball picked up a ground ball at the Hopkins attack end, fed a teammate, received a return pass and broke downfield for an unassisted 10-yard score and a 12-11 Maryland lead with 4:48 left.

With 2:40 remaining, blue Jay attack Jeff Cook scored on an unassisted play to tie it at 12-all. Hopkins midfielder Bob Teasdall gathered in a pair of ground balls at the Maryland attack end to stifle the home team twice in the next 89 seconds.

Hopkins got the ball back with 1:21 left and wound the clock down with parimeter passing until Huntley got open for a five-yard attempt. Waters blocked the shot and, with 46 seconds left, Garavante found himself alone just outside the crease for the game-winner off the carom into the left side of the net.

"I think there was an attack playing me," said Garavante, whose only goal of the game was his sixth of the year. "He left me on the first shot and I was open for the rebound. It came right into my stick."

When the Terps were called offside in a wild scramble for a loose ball at midfield -- giving the Blue Jays possession -- the scores of Hopkins rooters struck up the "Amen Chorus."

"The defense got a little life from the offense when they scored those second-period goals in a short span," said Greenberg. "That let us rest some and we were able to keep the pressure up."