Mike Martin's dream of scoring a touchdown in an all-star game were dashed last night, as were the East's chances of winning, when his grab of a Toby Howard pass was two feet out of the end zone in the D.C. Coaches Association East-West All-Star Game.

the 11th annual contest ended in a 7-7 tie at RFK Stadium before an estimated 6,000.

The crowd was expected to provide sufficient revenue to cover the $6,00 owed the Armory Board as part of the $10,000 RFK Stadium rent. An official attendance count and revenues produced will not be available until Monday.

The East's two attempts to win from field-goal formations in the final two minutes produced more thrills than either team could muster in an otherwise uneventful second half.

With 6:20 left the East started its final drive on its 42. It marched deep into West territory behind the running of H.D. Woodson's Anthony James and second pass reception from Spingarn's Martin.

Martin also made a 14-yard grab, his second from Spingarn's Walter Gale, that gave the East fourth and seven on the West nine with 7 minutes left.

Eastern's Kevin Minor prepared for a 27-year field goal attempted but the snap was high. The ball glanced off the fingers of holder Howard to Minor. Linebacker Minor rumbled to the West one, only to have the play called back by a clipping penalty.

With fourth-and-15 on the 17, the East chose to fake a field goal rather than try from 35 yards. Martin made a leaping catch of Howard's toss, but came down over the end line with 1:50 left.

"I was about two feet our," Martin admitted. I caught it, I looked behind me and I didn't see the line.

I was really excited. All of my life I've wanted to star in an all-star game. That was my big chance."

The promise from both coaches -- Eastern's Willie Stewart of the East and Dunbar's Luther Banner of the West -- of flying footballs and loads of points never materialized. Each team scored a touchdown in the first 17:02 and the fireworks thereafter were scattered individual efforts.

"We were bad fibbers this year," Stewart said. "We got conservative as much as I hate to admit . . . We were afraid to give the ball up in our own territory."

Though it may not have seemed so at the time, Barry Scott possibly saved the East from defeat with 1:37 left in the half. The West marched to a first down on the East 29 on pass receptions by Freddie Wagoner of Dunbar and Ronald Woods of Wilson.

As the clock ran down, quarterback Dwayne Butler of Theodore Roosevelt threw a strike to McKinley's Tracey Singleton despite Taylor's defensive efforts. But as the ball settled in Singleton's arms Taylor wrestled it away.

The West used a broken play and a defensive lapse by the East for long gains as it marched on its first posession to a 7-0 lead.

With third down and six on its 32, quarterback Johnathan Kirby of Dunbar collided with his tailback, Bennett Herndon of Cardozo. Kirby turned back down field and sprinted to the undefended right sideline. He ran 39 yards to the East 29 before being dragged down.

On fourth and 16 on the 35, Kirby rolled out and fired to Denard Tillerson of Roosevelt, among four East defenders at the five. Tillerson carried to the two and two plays later Burnell Irby of Rossevelt shot through the middle for a touchdown with 9:17 left in the first quarter.

Jed Worrell of McKinley booted the extra point.

The East moved to the West nine on its next possession, but was thwarted when Dunbar's Charles Mozon sacked Darryl Lindsay of Eastern for a 30 yard loss on third down. The East punted but quickly regained possesseion on an interception by Johnathan Tomlinson of Anacostia of a twice-tipped Kirby aerial at the West 30.

Eleven plays later. Darnell White of Ballou went two yards up the middle for the touchdown. Minor's kick tied the game, 7-7, with 12:50 left in the half. CAPTION: Picture, East quarterback Darryl Lindsay of Eastern outruns Wests Louis Edwards of Wilson for first down in D.C. Coaches Association All-Star game last night at RFK. By James M. Thresher-The Washington Post