In its first game on the light bouncy and fast Astroturf of new Kehoe Field, Georgetown played a stiflingly leaden game against Duquesne yesterday but managed to prevail, 6-0.

While the Hoyas' new home field drew rave reviews -- and a crowd of 4,500 -- their only player to receive kudos was free safety Jim Corcoran, who intercepted two passes, recovered a fumble and scored the only touchdown of the game on a 48-yard punt return late in the first quarter.

The Hoya defense nursed its frail lead throughout the remaining three quarters, finally icing the victory when Corcoran, a sophomore from Potomac, made his second interception on fourth and five at the Hoya 10 with 5:28 left.

He caught the ball in the end zone and returned it to the Georgetown 28. The Hoyas ran out of the clock for their second victory in two starts. Duquesne is 3-1.

In the first half, the Hoyas spent an eternity on defense, running 24 offensive plays to 46 for the Dukes. Georgetown managed only two first downs to the Dukes' nine.

"We couldn't get out option to work because their defense was in our backfield before we could get going," said Hoya quarterback Bob Gerard. "Their defense was big and fast, very tough to handle."

Duquesne's offense also pushed around the Hoya defense, but was thwarted by Corcoran. After Duquesne marched 40 yards to the Georgetown 34 on the first possession of the game, Corcoran pounced on Duquesne halfback Eddie Mantich's fumble to end the drive.

Three plays later, the Dukes had the ball back in good field position at their 40, only to have Corcoran intercept Jerry Koch's pass at midfield. It was Corcoran's third interception of the season.

With 5:51 remaining in the first quarter, Duquesne was forced to punt from its end zone. Corcoran fielded the line drive on the Dukes' 48, sidestepped two tacklers, faked another off his feet and was given an escort down the left sideline and into the end zone.

Corcoran's only moments of pain in the game came during his place kicking. His extra-point attempt was blocked and he later was short on a 43-yard field-goal try in the second quarter.

Duquesne controlled the ball for nearly the entire second quarter, capped by a 16-play, nine-minute drive that went 62 yards to the Georgetown 14. The march died when Koch hit split end Rob Milson one yard short of the first down.

In the third quarter, the Hoyas mounted their first decent drive of the afternoon, moving from their 24 to the Duquesne 20 before Gerard fumbled the snap from center and Duquesne lineman Bill Waibel pounced on the ball.

With 11 minutes remaining, Koch mixed medium-range passes and quick-hitting runs up the middle to move deep into Hoya territory. Bobby Roche came out of the backfield on two crucial third downs and caught passes of 21 and 10 yards.

Koch went for it all on fourth and five from the Hoya 10, looking for Milson in the end zone. Corcoran cut in front of Milson and picked off the pass while in full stride.