Texas' barefoot John Goodson kicked field goals of 23, 50, 35 and 25 yards today as the Longhorns slugged Missouri, 21-0.

Missouri (3-1) had not been shut out at home since losing to Baylor, 27-0, in 1972.

The sturdy defense of fourth-ranked Texas (2-0) figured prominently in the Longhorn scoring.

"They had a good football team," said Texas Coach Fred Akers. "I didn't think anyone could plan on keeping them bottled up."

A short Missouri punt to the Tiger 35-yard line set up Goodson's first field goal, the 23-yarder, with 10:29 left in the first quarter. A pass interception by cornerback Vance Bedford at the Missouri 38 set up Goodson's second kick, of 50 yards, with 7:46 left in the first quarter.

Defensive end Richard Slaydon blocked a Missouri punt from the end zone that was recovered by Texas for a safety with six minutes left in the first quarter, which ended with Texas leading, 8-0.

A fumble recovery by linebacker Robin Sendlein at the Missouri 39-yard line set up Goodson's third field goal, of 35 yards, with 5:38 left in the second quarter.

Goodson missed a 39-yard field goal attempt in the third quarter, but kicked his fourth to tie the Texas single-game record when he hit on a 25-yarder with 12:25 left.

The only Texas touchdown came on a seven-play, 73-yard third-quarter drive highlighted by a 39-yard pass from quarterback Donnie Little to split end Les Koenning and by a 21-yard keeper by Little. Halfback A.J. (Jam) Jones scored the touchdown from the Missouri one.

The Missouri offense could not generate a serious threat and was able to run only 18 plays in the second half. Missouri's defense was on the field for 28 minutes.

Warren Powers, coach of the fifth-ranked Tigers, said, "Texas played hard and was a better team than Missouri today. Our offense did not control the ball and our defense had to put in a great deal of time on the field.

"Texas is a sound team that executed its plays very well. Although Missouri's defense played its heart out, they just were on the field too long against a good team. The shutout is embarrassing, but is not going to happen again. We'll come back in our next game."