The racing strip at Laurel was declared unfit for racing yesterday after absorbing 8.3 inches of rain in the past month and the two-week-old meeting probably will be shifted to Pimlico for 10 days starting Wednesday.

Yesterday's card had to be scrapped, the third cancellation of the meeting.

Yesterday's decision to refurbish the Laurel strip came following a consultation with the E. Stewart Mitchell engineering firm of Baltimore, a specialist in road construction, and Laurel President John D. Schapiro. Schapiro was advised that the strip needs extensive repair and two weeks will be required to do the work.

Ben Cohen, secretary-treasurer of Pimlico, said that he had not been contacted by Laurel regarding a switch. He added that in the past the Maryland tracks have accommodated each other in the matter of makeup days and summer racing with an agreed-upon financial formula.

There will be a meeting of Laurel and Pimlico officials today at Laurel and an announcement is expected as to when racing will be resumed. Frank Brady, Laurel general manager, said, "It will be only a matter of days until we know for sure what the schedule will be. The only thing certain is that there will be no racing in Maryland before Wednesday at the earliest."

All racing programs have been scrapped and new entries will be drawn after today's meeting at Laurel.