Doug Dugan scored two goals and assisted on his team's other two, to lead American University to a 4-2upset of 13th-ranked George Washington yesterday in a Capital Collegiate Conference soccer game at AU.

The victory lifted the Eagles' record to 6-2-2-, 2-0 in the conference. GW is now 8-2 and 3-1 and appears certain to lose its No. 1 ranking in the Mid-Atlantic Region to Virginia (9-11) American entered the contest ranked seventh regionally.

"Every game this year, we've outplayed the opposition, but this is the first time we've actually finished in that manner in terms of possession and the amount of dangerous opportunities," said American Coach Pete Mehlert. "We've gone five and one in our last six games, including wins over William and Mary and GW, and we've tied Temple. That's not too bad. I'd like to see another team in the country play that schedule and come out without a loss."

Both teams came into the game nursing injuries. American was without second-leading scorer Jim Piedmont and keeper Eric Berezin, while the Colinials had high assist man Meiji Stewart and their top two goalies on the bench. Colonial Coach Georges Edeline was philosophical after the game because of his casualty list.

"We expected something like this could happen," said Edeline, who had five players out with injuries. "Either you go with your reserves or you play people who are only 80 percent healthy and risk losing them for the rest of the season."

American, which held a 1-0 halftime lead on a dugan penalty kick, stepped up its aggressive play in the second half, neutralizing George Washington's ball-control game with a mixture of long and short passes. GW tied the game at 1 after 20 minutes of the second half when fullback Mohsen Miri moved up to the forward line and fired across to Gerardo Guerrero. Guerrero hit the left corner of the net past Eagle keeper Bill Ruvo..

After Dugan volleyed a long, high cross from Charlie Davis for the Eagles' second goal at 68:07, Mehlert made perhaps the key move of the second half, inserting fullback Terry Schrider to guard the 5-foot-8 175-pound Miri.

"That settled things down a bit. You have to give credit to the coach for that," said Eagle fullback Scott Turner. "It gave us more of a chance to pick up their players and also push upfield more."

With Miri and GW striker Farid AlAwadi held in check, AU broke the game open when Eduardo Lopez converted a loose ball at the 35-minute mark to put the Eagles up, 3-1.

The Colonials pulled to within 3-2 when Al-Awadi cracked AU's defensive wall from 20 yards out, but Amercan bounced right back. Dugan lofted a long cross off a free kick and GW freshman goalie Karl Reis, playing his first collegiate game, let the ball slip through his grasp. From there, Eagle Kevin Barth headed the ball into the net on a bounce with less than two minutes left.