Maryland Coach Lefty Driesell had his head down. His voice was muffled. He mumbled most of his words. One was tempted to offer him condolences even though his team had just cruised to an easy 72-59 win over Brown.

"We were pretty terrible tonight," he said. "Except for Taylor (Baldwin) I don't think anyone played up to their potential. We just didn't have much effort out there at all.

"I hope it was because we had our minds on exams or something because if that ain't it, it's gonna be a long year."

The Terps could be excused for their malaise last night. Brown (1-3) came into Cole Field House without a player taller than 6-7. The Bruins were also slow, lacked coordination, shot terribly (37 percent) and wouldn't have known a fast break if it hit them on the head.

They were bad. The game was bad.

"It was kind of hard for us to get into the game," admitted Albert King, who took 10 shots and scored 14 points on a night when he spent a lot of time watching. "We were sluggish. I don't want to take anything away from them, but . . ."

The only Terrapin who seemed interested in the game was 6-10 sophomore center Baldwin. Suddenly finding himself towering above his opposition, Baldwin had the best night of his career with 16 points and 14 rebounds.

The other person in Cole Field House who had a big night was the Maryland mascot -- the Terrapin -- whid did several dance routines, shadow-boxed with the officials and rolled around on the floor during time outs.

The Terrapin was the highlight of the evening for the 7,316 who attended.

Brown did manage to keep the score respectable for most of the evening, largely because the Terps, now 3-1, seemed to have trouble staying interested. lWith 10 minutes left, Maryland's lead was 53-42.

At that point, Albert King, content to watch his teammates have some fun for most of the night, decided he had seen enough of this silliness and scored on a jump shot and free throw to widen the margin to 56-42.

Even then the crowd could not get interested. The gym was so quiet one could hear the proverbial pin dropping -- probably from boredom.

After King's three points it took three minutes before either team could score again and it wasn't because of a slowdown. They just couldn't score.

Finally Brown's Scott McCarthy hit a jump shot and Peter Moso made a three-point play after King missed and it was 56-47 with 6:36 left.

"We were a little bit sloppy at that point I guess," Kin said. "We lost some of our concentration and made some bad plays."

Graham hit two baskets after the Brown 'surge," to ice the game but Driesell, who barely moved off the bench all night, was still very unhappy with his team's effort and with the fact that the rebounding edge was only 4-37 in spite of Brown's lack of size.

"The only thing good was that we won," Driesell mumbled. "What did I think of our effort? I didn't see much effort."

Greg Manning added 15 points for the Terps and Graham had 14. Brown's one legitimated player, Peter Moss, led all scores with 24 points, followed by Ira James with 18.

As he walked away Driesell was asked if he would have paid his way in. "Don't ask me that," he said.

King was more blunt. "No way," he said. "I wouldn't have paid to see this."