Drake, a basketball team using a revamped playing style because of an injury to a key player, upset a cold-shooting Georgetown team, 79-77, in double overtime last night at McDonough Arena.

Dave Johnson, a 6-foot-8 forward, scored all four Drake points in the second overtime after Georgetown missed the final shots in both regulation and the first overtime.

Those weren't the only shots the Hoyas missed as Drake showed excellent poise and a tough scorer in Lewis Lloyd to come from eight points back with little more than 10 minutes to play in regulation. For the Hoyas, it was their third loss in 11 games.

Georgetown, which went into the game among the nation's best shooting teams with .554 accuracy, made only 40.8 percent and missed half of its 16 free throws in the final 25 minutes of the game.

Coach John Thompson said of his team's worst shooting night in the past 19 games: "We had opportunities to win the game and the ball wouldn't drop. When the lid is shut, there's nothing you can do about it. We got the things (shots) we wanted."

Guard Eric (Sleepy) Floyd, who missed an off-balance 18-foot jumper at the end of regulation before fouling out of his first college game in the first overtime, said, "Some nights it won't fall. But you have to keep playing hard and hope it changes.But it didn't tonight. We had our chances to win tonight."

Indeed, the Hoyas did in the second overtime, especially after Terry Fenlon's 25-foot jumper brought the Hoyas to 79-77 with 48 seconds to play. Georgetown had four chances to tie after Drake (now 8-1) missed three free throws in bonus situations and was called for a jump ball violation. t

But Al Dutch missed two shots. John Duren, who took a career-high 25 shots in an attempt to get his team going, missed a jump shot in the lane and, with four seconds remaining, failed to make the first of his one-and-one free throws after being fouled by Jeff Hill.

Lloyd, the nation's second-leading Division I scorer, was a point shy of his average, getting 29 including 12 of the Bulldogs' last 18 in regulation. But it was guard Ron Angell, who scored 20 points in nine-of-11 shooting, and Johnson who did the decisive damage, continually hitting from the outside in the second half as Drake gradually caught up. The Bulldogs tied the game with 1:48 left in regulation on a three-point play by Lloyd.

Ironically, two of the points came on improperly awarded free throws.Angell sank both ends of a one-and-one that was granted on Georgetown's sixth foul of the second half. But the home scorekeeper did not catch the error -- the bonus shot is awarded effective with the seventh team foul -- and Angell made the free throws to reduce Georgetown's lead to 71-70. Floyd's dunk shot made it 73-70 and set up Lloyd's three-point play.

"He's a good player," said Thompson. "But we expected him to be good. It was the other kids who beat us."

Especially Angell, who has moved recently from point guard to wing to take some of the shooting pressure off No. 2 scorer Rodney (Pop) Wright.

Angell who averages fewer than seven shots and a little more than seven points a game, said, "I was taking good shots. I hit them. I felt hot. So I kept taking them."

He was five for five in the second half.

Angell also explained that the loss of forward Eric Sampson, a forward who was a major cog in Drake's fast break, has forced the Bulldogs to reduce tempo by necessity and that playing the 2-3 matchup zone that they did helped achieve that purpose -- and keep the Hoyas from getting the ball inside very much to Craig Shelton, who scored 19 points, three fewer than Duren.

A key was Drake's refusal to come out of its zone and play man-to-man, when Georgetown had a 69-64 lead and went to the four corners with 5 1/2 minutes to play. Dutch, seeing his most extensive playing time of the season because of Eric Smith's hamstring injury, lost a jump ball after a five-second violation and Ed Spriggs missed a short hook shot.

As a result of Drake sitting back in the zone, Georgetown played for the final shots of both regulation and the first overtime, running off 1:45 before Floyd missed in regulation and 1:53 before Shelton's 13-foot jumper hit the back rim and bounced out at the end of the first overtime.