Abbie Dillon, wearing a splint on her shooting hand, scored 20 points and her Georgetown teammates converted eight consecutive foul shots in the last minute to edge George Washington. 78-70, and win the Catholic Women's Basketball Invitational title last night.

With a soft cast, bandages and a metal splint on the index finger of her right hand, Dillon scored 12 points in the second half with Georgetown high scorer K.C. Comerford sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

"You can't think about it," said Dillon who broke her finger a week ago. "You just have to go out and play as if the cast wasn't there. The doctors told me I couldn't play because it was too risky but they devised a good wrapping for me."

In a game featuring constant action, George Washington led much of the way, but Georgetown caught fire with five minutes remaining. Dillon scored six points and point guard Erin Reid added three to put the Hoyas up, 66-59, with 3:35 remaining. The Colonials came back behind Trish Egan's six points to cut the deficit to 66-65.

The Hoyas made a final drive when Comerford came off the bench to hit a jumper and Maria DeVita scored on a rebound basket with 1:43 left. The Hoya defense forced off-balance shots and the Colonials had to hope for missed Georgetown foul shots to come back from a 70-68 deficit, but Comerford hit two free throws, Reid four more and DeVita sewed up the game with two more.

"They played us man to man, so in the last six minutes we used plays designed for man-to-man defense," said Francis Carr, Georgetown coach.

"Thank God they worked. George Washington is a beautiful team."

Reid, who scored 18 points and passed off six assists, was named most valuable player of the tournament.

"I was very worried about K.C. being in foul trouble," said Reid. "When you lose someone like K.C. it's real tough on the offense. But that just shows what kind of team we have. We just stayed together and everyone tried to fill in for K.C."

Reid had close competition for MVP in Egan, who made 11 of 15 shots and scored 23 points.

In the first half, the Colonials set out to stop Comerford, who is averaging more than 20 points per game. Using a box-and-one defense, George Washington held Comerford scoreless in the first half.

After a quarter, Comerford had picked up three fouls and the Colonials were moving. Dillon led a Hoya surge late in the half, scoring four points in the last 35 seconds to give Georgetown a 36-35 halftime lead.

"The box and one they used put a lot of pressure on K.C., but it opened up their defense a little for the rest us," said Dillon.

In a remarkable turnabout for Georgetown women's basketball, the 17-1 Hoyas captured the Catholic tournament in which they had never placed higher than fifth.

In a consolation game played for fifth place, Catholic beat American, 63-55, behind Sharon Hodge's 22 points, including her 1,000th career point at Catholic. The University of the District of Columbia, citing poor officiating, problems with the official clock and one-sided seeding of teams, withdrew from the third-place consolation game they were scheduled to play against Howard.