The Baltimore Orioles, usually a tame peaceful flock, turned violently angry today after enduring more frustrations from the nagging Chicago White Sox.

The Birds, victimized by Chicago for the fifth time in seven games this season, fought the White Sox in a bench-clearing brawl in the sixth inning, then did a slow burn as the Chisox prevailed, 9-6, on three ninth-inning runs. t

For the second straight day, lightly regarded Marvis Foley was the villain for Baltimore fans. The Chicago catcher, who homered in the 12th inning Saturday night to beat the Birds, singled home Harold Baines (three doubles) for the go-ahead run in the ninth against reliever Sammy Stewart.

"Stewart had been hitting the corner on me all day, but this one he got over the dish," Foley said.

The Chisox added their final runs as Foley and pinch hitter Mike Squires, who singled, scored when Harry Chappas' single to center escaped Al Bumbry and rolled to the wall. Right fielder Gary Roenicke relayed to Kiko Garcia, who gunned down Chappas at home. But by then it was 9-6.

The Orioles, who suffered 22 1/3 innings in a row without scoring against White Sox relievers this season until they tallied in the sixth, mounted one more rally in the ninth. But with two on, reliever El Farmer, after falling behind, 3-0, to Pat Kelly, forced him to fly out softly to left.

"How can Farmer get a 3-1 breaking ball over to Kelly when he would have loaded the bases if he had walked him?" mused Oriole Manager Earl Weaver, happy that he won't see the White Sox again until July. "That is a hell of a pitch for him to throw.

"Chicago's going to be tough. They get a lot of cheap hits, but those cheapies go a long way. They fight to get the bat on the ball."

Although the Oriole players entered the locker room shaking their heads at the mystery of the White Sox, the height of Baltimore frustration surfaced in the sixth inning.

The Memorial Stadium crowd of 28,031 watched Doug DeCinces charge the mound after Mike Proly hit him on the shoulder with a fast ball. DeCinces discarded his helmet and bat, and when Proly shouted, "Come on!" DeCinces clinched with the Chicago reliever, pounding him on the back with his free hand. Proly, a linebacker in high school, dropped from the clinch and tackled the third baseman.

The benches emptied and about 10 minutes later, DeCinces was ejected from the game.

"The closer he got, the bigger he looked," Proly said. "I don't know what was in his mind. I wasn't throwing at him. The fast ball just got away."

'As soon as someone gets a hit, this guy thinks he can start throwing at people," said DeCinces, who came up after Eddie Murray tripled in two runs. "I've only faced him three times before, and I remember he hit me on the elbow. When I went to the mound, he tackled me around the legs but it's hard to do anything from down there."

The White Sox enjoyed uncommon good fortune, beating out four infield hits. Lamar Johnson is 14 for 28 with 11 RBI in seven games against the Birds and Baines is six for 10 the last two games. Johnson homered in the fourth to give Chicago a 5-1 lead.

Oriole pitcher Dennis Martinex, disabled since March 28 with torn fibers in his right shoulder, was activated and started. (Reliever Joe Kerrigan was optioned to Rochester to make room.)

The Nicaraguan right-hander, a portrait of stamina and bad luck last season, lasted only five outs, giving up six hits and three runs.

Weaver said he was not sure but Martinez might be sent to the bullpen to pitch his was way back into the rotation.

For the Birds, who got their 11th homer of the six-game homestand on DeCinces' two-run shot in the fourth, there was more wildly disturbing news: Ken Singleton aggravated a bone bruise on his left heel and was removed as a precautionary measure in the third.