Jeff Harris scored with 48 seconds left in the second sudden-death overtime to give Johns Hopkins a 9-8 victory over the University of Virginia and an unprecedented third consecutive NCAA lacrosse championship before 11,500 today at Cornell University.

Hopkins (14-1) had been No. 1 in the nation until a 12-9 loss to Virginia during the regular season.The cavaliers, however, could not duplicate the feat and ended their year at 12-2.

With 80 seconds left in the second overtime, defenseman Marty Bergin stripped the ball from Virginia's Ray Giusto and the Blue Jays has their first possession of the period. Mid-fielder Brendean Schneck, who had two goals and an assist, took charge for Hopkins. He passed behind the goal to Jim Bidne, who hit Harris in front for the score.

The first overtime period was uneventful except for a save by the Blue Jays' two-time All-America goalie, Mike Federico, on a shot by Mike Caravana. Hopkins' Jim Zaffuto had tied the game at 8-8 with 7 1/2 minutes left in regulation.

"If there is a team which deserves to win four of the first 10 NCAA championships and three in a row, it is Johns Hopkins." said Blue Jay Coach Henry Ciccarone. "These are two great teams. The way they (Virginia) refused to quit when they were four down and came back . . . how we stayed in it when they went on top . . . this is a tough one to lose for anybody." The four national lacrosse titles also are an NCAA record.

Trailing after intermission, 4-1, the Cavaliers came storming back. Sonny Esposito and Caravana each scored in the first three minutes.

Schneck's brother, Lance, was called for holding and Randy Natoli used the situation to put the Cavaliers ahead, 6-5, and Rich Riccardi added a goal for a 7-5 advantage.

Bidne, Hopkins' leadin scorer with three goals and two assists, and Henry Ciccarone Jr. scored in the fourth period while John Driscoll scored for Virginia. That set the stage for Zaffuto's tying goal.

Virginia maintained control for the first 90 seconds of the first overtime until a crease violation turned the ball over to Hopkins.

At the other end of the field Schneck attempted a shot but it was blocked and the Cavliers had the last chance. Working the ball behind Federico, Randy Natoli centered to Caravana who let go a hard drive which the goalie blocked with his quick stick. Virginia regained control and held the ball to assure possession in the next overtime period.

"We were aware of it," said Ciccarone of the fact that Virginia had won two overtime games to gain the final. "In a sudden-death situation, you just go with your best. They did, and we did, too. Ours just came through first."

Virginia held the ball until a poor pas gave it to the Blue Jays with 2.51 remaining. They, in turn, threw it away and Virginia called time at 2.15. Bergin followed with his defensive play to set up the winning goal.

The Cavaliers outplayed John Hopkins, winning more faceoffs, 19-1; scooping more ground balls, 53-40, and taking more shots, 35-25.

Driscoll, with two goals, led Virginia. Esposito, Caravana, Natoli, and Rainis each had a goal and an assist.