Mark Borchelt says it will take him and his brother, Fred, "a while to get everything together, to do things right," in their quest for the Silver Goblets and Nickalls Challenge Plate here at the 130th Henley Royal Regatta on the River Thames.

But it was hard to find much wrong today with the pair from Arlington, Va., as the U.S. Olympians walked away from their second straight opponent in the straight-pair competition.

Quentin Allen and Paul Newman of Bournemouth, England, stayed relatively close for half a mile, before the Borchelts drew away en route to a decisive four- to five-length quarterfinal victory. Their time for the mile and 550 yards was 8:40.

Mark Borchelt said he would make minor adjustments to his rigging to prevent his oar from catching (entering the water) too deeply, but he had few of the troubles he had steering from the bow that he did in the opening 100 yards of Thursday's race, which the pair also won easily.

"It was pretty exciting at first. The other crew kept with us for a while," said Mark, whose face belied the possibility that the outcome was ever in doubt. "We had a pretty good row to the barrier (the 700-yard mark). We just kept moving away from that."

Once again the Borchelts jumped out with a high rating with 43 strokes in the first minute before settling to the 36.37 range and gradually lowering into the 20s after taking a huge lead.

"You just want to get out of the blocks, boom," Mark said.

"That's the good thing about this race for us. You get into the lead and it's hard to catch up."

The official U.S. Olympic straight pair of John Carababas and Mark O'Brien, both of Detroit, squandered an early length lead and was defeated by a full length by Pat Casey and Paul Taylor of London. The Borchelts are the oarsmen for the Olympic coxed pair, but there is no such event here.

The Potomac Boat Club eight of Washington, D.C. needed a second-half surge to eliminate the City of Cambridge Boat Club from contention for the Thames Challenge Cup.

Potomac, jumping out at 42 and settling in the 34-35 range, trailed by six seats at the barrier and at Fawley (1,145 yards), before starting to narrow the gap. Potomac pulled even with one mile gone and led by two to four seats with 250 yards left before holding off a surge that brought Cambridge within a deck of the Americans, who advanced to the quarterfinals.