On a gorgeous November afternoon, the Cardinals of Catholic University outran, outhit, outpassed and outplayed crosstown rival Georgetown yesterday, drubbing the Hoyas, 33-8. They retained possession of the Steve Dean Memorial Trophy, the Cardinals' fourth victory in the five years since the award was established.

"Our kids were really up. They played a hell of a football game. I think this is the biggest game I've ever had," said Catholic Coach Joe Pascale, whose team faced extinction until two weeks ago when the student body voted to assess themselves an extra $15 annual athletic fee to maintain the varsity football program.

Cardinal quarterback Steve Stanislav led the Catholic offensive, completing 16 of 21 passes for 202 yards and two touchdowns. He was intercepted once, by Jim Corcoran, who returned the ball 10 yards to the Cardinal 39 early in the third quarter.

But the Hoyas lost the ball five plays later on downs, and they didn't score until the last play of the third quarter, on a 16-yard pass from Bobby Gerard to Eddie Trujillo. Rich Corcoran ran for the two-point conversion.

By then, Catholic had run up 27 points, and the game was all but out of reach for the Hoyas. With 5:08 to play, Catholic defensive back Lou Ruggiero intercepted Tom Marotta's pass on the Georgetown 24 and ran for the final score of the game.

As is his custom, Stanislav, who has now passed for 4,252 yards in his collegiate career, found his favorite receiver in Mike Stotz, a former teammate at Good Counsel High School, who caught the ball six times for 127 yards and one touchdown.

"Stan and I pretty much have it down to a pattern," said Stotz, who made one picturesque catch of a 43-yard pass at the three and ran it in for the touchdown early in the third period.

"He knew where I was going to be, and all I saw was the ball," Stotz said. "It just carried me into the end zone."

Two other Stotz receptions helped set up touchdowns. His gain of 11 yards put the ball at the Georgetown eight in the first period and a 32-yard reception brought the ball to the Georgetown four in the second.

The first-period reception set up the game's first score when Stanislav passed to halfback Mike Brown with 1:56 remaining in the quarter.

Powerful punting by Catholic's Jim Glynn, especially in the first half, kept the Hoyas in poor field position. Glynn punted three times in that half for an average of 49 yards. His longest punt was 56 yards.

"We just got an old-fashioned country whipping," said Georgetown Coach Scotty Glacken. "They dominated us on the line of scrimage, offensively and defensively. That's where they won the game, in the trenches."