The Philadelphia Phillies, world champions -- unblemished.

The Pennsylvania Department of Justice charged a Reading physician yesterday with using the names of a half dozen Phils and two Phillie wives to illegally prescribe drugs. And as the charges were lodged against Dr. Patrick Mazza and two alleged accomplices (a Reading man and his son accused of having the prescriptions filled at four pharmacies), a spokesman for the state declared:

"There is no evidence indicating any participation by the players in the illegal conduct."

Revelation of the case, and that narcotics officals wanted to question some of the ballplayers, upset the Phils in the midsummer heat of the pennant race.

Oh-oh. Ted Turner is under investigation by Bowie Kuhn again, according to the Atlanta Constitution. The commissioner suspended the Braves' owner the 1977 season, remember, for wooing then-Giant outfielder Gary Matthews before the free-agent draft. Now it seems Padre refugee Dave Winfield was entertained by Turner in Atlanta for three days -- and other club owners claim he "tampered," too, before signing Met refugee Claudell Washington.

The New York Daily News says Sonny Werblin and friends are about to dump Fred Shero as coach of the NHL Rangers and maybe give Phil Esposito the job . . . College basketball, WBFF-TV-45 at 1 p.m. today, Hall of Fame game, NCAA champion Louisville versus De Paul. . . Up the Hill goes Vince Campanella, pioneer sports information director at George Mason U. these past five years, and the congressional staff that landed him effective Jan. 1 left the Fairfax school a tough act to pick up on. . . Ralph Sampson was released from the hospital yesterday after five days for treatment of intestinal virus; lost 10 pounds, but should be ready for Virginia opener Friday.

Three years ago, Jimmy Williams, a Washingtonian who has played pro baseball everywhere from the Caribbean to Japan -- even Alexandra, Va., a little while -- called to furnish FanFare a nice logal angle; Stanley Williams, Jimmy's young brother and a former Dunbar athlete, was making his mark on special teams for the Arkansas Razorbacks who would go on to shock Oklahoma, 31-6, in the Orange Bowl and rank No. 3 nationally; and he'd done it as a walk-on. Jimmy called again Thursday: Stanley had come home sick this year but after thyroid surgery last week he seemed to be progressing, and left Providence Hospital after a five-week stay. Then -- said Jimmy Williams -- "my brother died, this morning. He was 24." Services will be noon Monday at Washington & Sons Funeral Home in D.C.