Randy Morris and Brian Willard apparently didn't get the message that yesterday was a bad day to play golf.

They birdied four of the first five holes and went on to soundly defeat Wayne DeFrancesco of Lakewood and Perky Cullinane of Columbia, 6 and 5, to win the rain-drenched final of the Belle Haven Four Ball. Morris and Willard were four under par for the 13 holes they needed to play, with five birdies and a bogey.

Morris, who had been bagging birdies all weekend, set the tone of the match when he reached the long par-5 opening hole in two shots and two-putted for a birdie. At the next green, he delicately wedged an approach shot to within seven feet of the pin and sank the putt for a 2-up lead.

After the third hole was halved in par, Morris, a former pro who regained his amateur status last year, reached the par-5 fourth hole in two shots and two-putted from 70-feet for another birdie and a 3-up bulge.

Willard, seven times club champion at Argyle, and a member at Congressional, upheld his end with a three-foot birdie putt at No. 5 and a par putt of the same distance at the seventh hole after his approach shot found sand. That put Morris, now a member of Washingtonian, and Willard 5 up and the gallery knew a rout was on.

DeFrancesco and Cullinane had played a grueling match in the morning in eliminating Mike Nesbit of New Orleans and Mike Still of Baton Rouge in 22 holes, DeFrancesco winning with an eagle.

DeFrancesco finally won a hole for his team in the afternoon round when he whistled a wood shot onto the green at the par-3 ninth hole and sank a 15-foot putt for deuce.

But Morris' long iron shot landed 10 feet above the hold at the par-3 10th and he sank the putt to regain the 5-up advantage. He ended the match with a 270-yard drive and a par at the 450-yard, par-4 13th hole.

Morris tried the PGA tour in 1973-74, and his best finish was 38th in the B.C. Open. "I set the record for most miles driven for no reason," he said, smiling.

In their morning semifinal, Morris and Willard were five under par in beating Butch Mielke of Wicomico and Buddy Peoples of Crofton, 4 and 3.

Bill Hess and Ted Vallo of Reston defeated Ed Offterdinger and Matt Sughrue of Bethesda, 4 and 3, to win the first flight. Tom Walsh and Mark Bader of Montgomery Village won the second flight and Ron Rhoads and Dick Schmidt of Kenwood won the third flight.