Washington's David McGill scored on the seventh round of a shootout tonight to carry the Diplomats to a 2-1 victory over the Tulsa Roughnecks before 14,897 at Skelly Stadium.

McGill's goal joined shots by David Bradford and Trevor Franklin to give the Diplomats a 3-2 edge in the shootout.

The Dips (9-3, 61 points) had taken a 1-0 lead in the 59th minute on a goal by Malcolm Waldron, but the Roughnecks (5-5, 41 points) tied the game in the 70th minute on Jo Edvaldsson's goal from close range. Both teams failed to capitalize on good scoring chances in the overtime periods preceding the shootout.

"It was the first time I've ever tried a shootout," McGill said. "I do it one time and score a goal.

"I just try to keep the ball low," he said. "I have a tendency to shoot high. So, I tried to remain calm and if it goes in it does, and if it doesn't, it doesn't."

Franklin, who scored the second Washington shootout goal, joined the team Sunday and had no workouts with the Dips before tonight's game.

"Franklin just volunteered for the shootout," said Washington Coach Ken Furphy. "I thought it was marvelous."

Continued Furphy: "I thought we played very confidently. We forgot about Edvaldsson that one time. We knew he came up from the back, but we just forgot about him."

Although neither team scored in the first half, both had chances, especially the Diplomats. Tulsa goalie Zeljko Bilecki, who had made just 18 saves in 858 minutes of play before tonight, was called upon for six during the first 45 minutes.

Tulsa's best chances came early in the half, but the Roughnecks missed a pair of headers.

Waldron scored the game's first goal at 59:31 from about 26 yards in front of the goal. His shot deflected off the Tulsa wall into the goal just inside the left post.

Before the goal there was little offense in the second half. The only danger of any kind came in the 56th minute, when David McCreery of Tulsa attempted a shot from the top of the box on a give and go that went over the crossbar.

Tulsa tied the match at 7:26 when Edvaldsson scored on a loose ball from about eight yards out.

The play began with a corner kick by the Roughnecks' Barry wallace. The kick sailed across the goal mouth to the far post, where Edvaldsson chested the ball down and then flicked it over goalkeeper Jim Brown into the net.