Carl Lewis jumped 28 feet 3 1/2 inches tonight, the second best legal long jump ever, then moved across Hughes Stadium 45 minutes later and outran an outstanding field in the 100 meters in the 93rd U.S. track and field championships.

Lewis thus became the first man since Jesse Owens in 1936 to win running and field events in this meet, matching the double he achieved in the NCAA championships two weeks ago.

The world legal was the key difference between tonight's great jump and Lewis' 28-7 3/4 performance in Friday night's qualifying. The wind, measured at 10.21 mph Friday, dipped below the allowable 4.47 mph tonight as Lewis stood at the head of the runway, the 10,000 fans and numerous photographers waiting expectantly.

He did not disappoint them. When he landed it was obvious the jump had been a good one. There was a moment of suspense while white flags were raised at both takeoff point and wind guage, then came the dramatic announcement.

The jump broke Bob Beamon's Hughes Stadium record of 27-4 set in 1968, the same year Beamon established the world record of 29-2 1/2 at Mexico City. The only other 28-plus legal jump was East German Lutz Dombrowski's winning effort of 28-1/4 at the 1980 Olympics.

Lewis' long jump victory here, achieved on his first jump, marked his first success in nine confrontations with Larry Myricks, the two-time defending champion. Myricks managed 27-3 1/4 on his second try, after which he required treatment for a badly cut finger on his right hand.

Lewis was slow out of the blocks in the 100, as Mel Lattany led most of the way. But Lewis accelerated in the last 30 meters and was a clear winner, raising his arms in joy and prancing around the track, followed by his usual escort of photographers.

Lewis was timed in 10.13 seconds into a slight head wind. Stanley Floyd edged out Lattany for second place -- both were timed in 10.21 -- and James Sanford was fourth in 10.22.

Greg Foster, strengthening his new role as the world's No. 1 hurdler in Renaldo Nehemiah's absence, ran away with the 110-meter highs. He was timed in 13.39 into a head wind.

Stephaine Hightower outleaned Benita Fitzgerald to win the women's 100-meter hurdles in 13.09 seconds, with the wind quieting briefly. The runner-up time of 13.10 was a personal best for Fitzgerald, the Tennessee sophomore from Woodbridge, Va.

Tyke Peacock won the high jump on a tie breaker as the top three cleared 7-4 3/4. Navy's Leo Williams tied for fourth, missing at the height after first attempt clearances at 7-1 3/4 and 7-3.

Edwin Moses, unbeaten in the intermediate hurdles since 1977, cruised into Sunday's final in 50.18 seconds, although bothered by the heat, which reached 100 degrees at race time. Defending champion David Lee (49.68) and NCAA winner Andre Phillips of UCLA (49.73) were faster, but nobody was expecting either to be faster on Sunday.

Morgan State's Roberta Belle, running for D.C. International, advanced to the final of the women's 400 in 53.75.

Robin Campbell, the Washington native running for the Stanford Track Club, gained Sunday's final of the women's 800 meters in 2:02.92. Chris Mullen, a recent Georgetown graduate, advanced in 2:04.31.

Brian Oldfield's 68-10 1/2 led qualifying for Sunday's shot put final. Michael Carter, the NCAA champion from Southern Methodist, threw the shot 65-11 1/2. Maryland graduate Ian Pyka was another finalist.

Maryland's Jon Warner was one of 15 vaulters to clear 17-4 and qualify for Sunday's pole vault final. Warner made it on his first try.