Miguel Dilone stuck out like a sore thumb tonight. Dilone, who departed after five innings with a painful right thumb, was the only Cleveland starter unable to hit safely as the Indians defeated the Baltimore Orioles, 8-5.

Cleveland had 15 hits, with Rick Manning getting three, as it knocked out Baltimore right-hander Steve Stone in the second inning and chased a large segment of the crowd of 10,637 by building a 7-0 lead in the fifth.

The Orioles' recently resurgent bats had produced 36 runs in winning four straight games, however, so some stayed and tried to whoop it up during belated attempts to write an exciting ending to a boring night.

Cleveland starter Bert Blyleven, who earned his 11th victory, faced 12 batters over four hitless innings, then was jolted in the fifth. Terry Crowley's fourth homer followed singles by Eddie Murray and Doug DeCinces to reduce the deficit to 7-3.

In the seventh, Blyleven struck out John Lowenstein for the third time, boosting his game total to six and season figure to 105, tops in the American League. Then a two-out double by DeCinces and a walk to Crowley brought up pinch hitter Dan Graham. His long fly to right fell into Jorge Orta's glove, 15 feet short of matching Crowley.

Blyleven, who was facing Baltimore for the first time since winning the fifth game of the 1979 World Series as a Pittsburgh Pirate, left after the seventh inning and 113 pitches with a stiff right elbow. He was replaced by Dan Spillner, who had some problems before retiring the last five batters.

A walk to Al Bumbry and singles by Rich Dauer and Ken Singleton brought Dave Garcia, the Cleveland manager, to the mound, but the Orioles never did get the tying run to the plate. Murray's grounder brought in the concluding run and the Orioles had to check the scoreboard to find some good news: Boston's 6-5 victory over first-place Detroit.

Stone had pitched splendidly in winning his two previous starts and there was speculation he had regained the groove of his Cy Young year of 1980. After retiring the first four Indians tonight, however, Stone was hit unmercifully.

Former Senator Toby Harrah hit an 0-2 pitch into deep right center for a double. Von Hayes walked and Stone made another 0-2 mistake, which Bo Diaz converted into a run-scoring single to right center.

Duane Kuiper then proved conclusively that this was not Stone's night. Kuiper, whose only major-league homer came off Stone in 1977, almost did it again in his 2,814th at bat, doubling off the right field wall for a 2-0 margin.

Ray Miller, the Oriole pitching coach, began what would become a parade to the mound, but Stone was permitted to face Mike Fischlin, of .077 batting futility. Fischlin sent a single to left with such force that Kuiper had to stop at third, although Diaz crossed with the third run and Baltimore Manager Earl Weaver was right behind him with the hook for Stone.

Dave Ford yielded three runs and four hits in 2 2/3 innings and Jeff Schneider gave up for two runs and seven hits in 3 2/3, as the Oriole bullpen once again experienced difficulties. Steve Luebber managed the last four outs without a blemish, but few of the faithful were still here to see it.

Manning, hitless in the first game of the series, now has seven hits in his last 10 at bats. For an added flourish, he stole his 15th base in 18 tries.