Peter Scott's fourth goal of the game 17 seconds into sudden-death overtime enabled second-ranked Johns Hopkins to survive its first challenge of the year and turn back No. 4 Virginia, 12-11, in lacrosse before 5,200 at Scott Stadium today.

All-America Jeff Cook, whose three goals lifted his team-leading total to 14, had a chance to win the game for Hopkins (5-0) with 10 seconds left in regulation. But the Cavaliers' Mike Sotir stopped Cook's shot.

Virginia's Scott Gerham nearly controlled the face-off in overtime, but Marty Bergin reached over his shoulder to make the steal. Bergin hurried the ball downfield and passed to Scott about seven yards from the goal. Scott caught Virginia goalie J. B. Meyer leaning the wrong way and scored.

"I was very surprised to get the ball standing where I was," Scott said. "I didn't know what was going on. I shot it more out of reflex action than anything else."

"A lot of these guys, Peter Scott included, are really young, and this was their real first test of the year," said Hopkins Coach Henry Ciccarone, whose team had defeated four previous opponents by a combined score of 78-17.

"Virginia had been under pressure before, but we hadn't," he said. "This is really going to help our young guys with their confidence."

Hopkins will face top-ranked North Carolina, a 16-11 winner over Maryland today, next Saturday at Homewood Field in Baltimore.

Virginia (3-2) had trailed, 5-1 and 11-8, but rallied to tie both times.

Led by three of Mike Caravana's five goals, the Cavaliers scored five straight times during a four-minute stretch in the first period for a 6-5 lead. But Scott, a sophomore attackman, got his first goal at 12:23 of the second quarter to tie the game at 6.

He scored twice in the third period as the Blue Jays opened the second half by outscoring Virginia, 5-1. Hopkins held an 11-8 lead after Bob Page scored for Virginia in the closing minutes of the third period.

But Virginia rallied again. Rick Giusto scored off a face-off at 4:16 into the fourth quarter to make it 11-9. Randy Natoli scored one minute later and Caravana tied the game at 11 with six minutes left in regulation.

Hopkins, meanwhile, didn't have possession of the ball long enough in the fourth period to mount a threat.

"We weren't missing opportunities; we just weren't getting them," Scott said. "They were putting a lot of defensive pressure on us and we must have had the ball only three minutes the whole last quarter."