Six-time French Open champion Bjorn Borg has decided not to enter that tournament this year because of a ruling that would force him to go through the qualifying round, his coach, Lennart Bergelin, said yesterday in Monte Carlo.
The 25-year-old Borg ended a five-month tournament break, the longest of his tennis career, to play in the Monte Carlo tournament. He was eliminated Thursday by France's Yannick Noah in straight sets in a quarterfinal match.
The Men's International Professional Tennis Council, the governing board of the sport, has set a minimum of 10 Grand Prix tournaments for every player this year. Borg will play only seven. The council has refused to grant Borg's request for exemption from the 10-tournament minimum.
"Bjorn has decided not to play the French Open this year because he doesn't want to go through the qualifying round," Bergelin said. "We haven't yet made a decision on Wimbledon." The All-England Club, which runs Wimbledon, will meet Thursday to discuss Borg's qualifying status.
Tennis sources said Wimbledon officials would like to exempt Borg from the qualifying round there. Sir Brian Burnett, the chairman of Wimbledon, flew to Monte Carlo last week to discuss Borg's qualifying status with the council.
If the council insists Borg qualify and Wimbledon goes against its ruling, the event no longer would be considered part of the Grand Prix tour.