lowed down for almost two periods by a steady rain and Maryland's aggressive defense, second-ranked Johns Hopkins scored five straight times over a nine-minute stretch to defeat the seventh-ranked Terrapins, 14-9, at Homewood Field today in the first round of the NCAA lacrosse playoffs.

It was the 11th straight victory over Maryland for the Blue Jays, including one during the 1982 regular season. Hopkins will entertain Virginia at 2 p.m. Saturday in the semifinals. Third-seeded Virginia (10-2) defeated sixth-seeded Adelphi, 15-7, today in Charlottesville. In today's other semifinals, top-seeded North Carolina eliminated visiting Navy, 16-2, for its 24th consecutive victory over two seasons and fourth seeded Cornell (11-1) beat Army in Ithaca, N.Y., 11-9. Cornell plays at North Carolina Saturday in the other semifinal.

Hopkins (10-2) had its offensive plans thrown out of whack by a steady downpour that held up play for 20 minutes. The Blue Jays trailed, 7-6, midway through the second period, but scored three straight times to assume a 9-7 lead with moments left in the first half.

Jeff Cook, who finished with two goals, scored and Peter Scott tossed in his third and fourth goals to erase Maryland's lead.

"If it had not rained, we probably would have won anyway, but it might have helped them (Maryland)," said Hopkins Coach Henry Ciccarone. "We weren't able maybe to move the ball as much as we wanted and it hindered our stick work. But we always try to gear our play to the conditions."

As the rain slackened at the start of the second half, Hopkins continued on the offensive, scoring the first two goals of the third period to take an 11-7 lead. John Krumenacker, who had three of his four goals in the second half and also finished with two assists, scored two of the next three goals as the Blue Jays increased their advantage to 14-8.

"Once they got ahead we got a couple of breaks we just weren't able to take advantage of. That's what really cost us," said Maryland Coach Dino Mattessich, who saw his club eliminated from the playoffs by Hopkins a second straight year. The Terrapins, who lost for the fifth time in seven games, finished 8-5.

"It was 12-8 for a long time and we kept getting opportunities but we couldn't cash any of them in. That's been the story for us," Mattessich added.

Hopkins, as usual, set the pace early, scoring twice in the first two minutes and taking a quick 3-1 lead. Even though they were outshot, 16-7, in the first period, the Terrapins managed to keep close. They fell behind by two, 4-2, but Tony Olbert and Geoff Nordberg scored to tie the game before the quarter ended.

Then the rains came. When play resumed, Hopkins' advantage in offensive speed was wiped out by the sloppy field conditions. Maryland, which had been using midfielders with long sticks to harass the Blue Jays on offense, went ahead by a goal three times in the second period, but never was able to pull away.