James Terry, the Washington Bullets' eighth-round draft choice from Howard, grabbed the rebound and threw the ball to midcourt. Jerry Davis, a fifth-round pick from Detroit, seemed to have the situation under control as he placed himself between the offensive player and the basket.

But when Dwight Anderson is the offensive player, no such logic applies.

Davis turned, set himself and looked up just in time to see Anderson whizzing by for the easy layup, quicker than you could gasp in amazement and say: "Late second round?"

The action took place yesterday morning at Murphy Field House in Fort Meade, where the Bullets opened a three-day minicamp for draft choices and invitees.

Anderson, from Southern California and Kentucky, is one of the Bullets' three second-round choices. That also happened to be the ratio of second-round choices to attend the workout.

Top selection Bryan Warrick of St. Joseph's, the second choice in the second round and 25th overall, said from his Burlington County, N.J., home that he would arrive in Fort Meade today. Mike Gibson of South Carolina-Spartanburg, chosen three picks after Anderson, has not told the Bullets when he will arrive.

Forward Steve Lingenfelter, a second-round selection a year ago who played in Italy last season, was "in for a workout a couple of weeks ago," according to General Manager Bob Ferry, and was excused from this preliminary camp.

"We can't make them come if they haven't signed," said Ferry. "They come if they want to come."

Anderson definitely wanted to come.

"I was in the air for eight hours (he flew in from Los Angeles), and then slept at the airport for nine hours, and then came straight here to practice," said Anderson, 22. "I am tired."

An Ohio native whose only appearance in Capital Centre was in a high school all-star game, Anderson played at Kentucky for two years before transferring out West.

"I just didn't like the way I was handled," said the 6-3 guard. "They play 13 people there and you just don't get enough of a chance."

At USC, Anderson averaged almost 20 points in two seasons, but will probably be best known for the shot he made over the back of the backboard and through the net while jumping out of bounds. But the question still looms--why late second round?

"I was informed there was a bad rumor put out on me, about attitude or something," Anderson said.

Among the players he encountered yesterday, in addition to Terry and--for that brief moment--Davis, were third-round pick Mike Largey of Upsala, sixth-round choice Byron Williams of Idaho State and former Virginia star Marc Iavaroni. But his main competition at guard among rookies was back "playing too much basketball" in New Jersey.

"You should always look forward to a challenge," said the 6-5 Warrick about the several guards the Bullets have stockpiled. He added that being picked so high, although a surprise to most people, did not surprise him.

Anderson said he does not know Warrick. Before today, he did not know Shue or Ferry, either. But walking in somewhat late to today's session, Anderson shook hands with both men, donned his shorts and took the floor.

From then on, Dwight Anderson became a Bullet in both name and performance.