Central High School has appealed the forfeiture of six football victories because of an ineligible player. A decision regarding the anonymous protest against senior Chris Joyner is expected today from the office of the Prince George's County superintendent.
The decision on the appeal will have a direct effect on Northwood, which is contending with several other Montgomery County schools for a Maryland Class A playoff berth.
If the appeal is denied, Surrattsville, which lost to Central, 13-7, would be awarded a forfeit victory. Northwood, by having beaten Surrattsville, would earn a point that could prove important in the region's standings. This is the final weekend of the regular season in Maryland and the pairings for the playoffs will be made on Sunday morning.
If the decision is reversed, Central's victories and the Prince George's AB championship would be restored. Central was 6-0 in the league and 7-2 overall before being stripped of its victories.
If the decision is upheld, Fairmont Heights, DuVal or Surrattsville will win the county championship. None of the Prince George's AB teams has enough points to qualify for the state playoffs.
An anonymous protest lodged last week against Joyner, a senior, contends he violated the county's continuous semester rule. The rule says a player is eligible to compete for six straight semesters over three years. The protest alleges Joyner is in his fourth year of high school. Although Joyner meets the age requirement in accordance with Maryland athletic rules, he would be ineligible if he is in his fourth year of high school.
Central Coach Gary Edsall confirmed yesterday he received a letter about the forfeiture of the games from the county protest committee, and that an appeal was sent to Ed Felegy, the assistant superintendent of administration and personnel for the county school system.
Brian Porter, the school district public information officer, said yesterday his office had no comment on the specifics of the case and or when a decision would be made. Neither Joyner nor his parents could be reached for comment yesterday.
"This was Chris' first year of football," Edsall said. "He was a very good player--he started at split end and safety. When I got the letter stating a rule had been broken regarding Joyner's eligibility, I was a bit surprised. His parents sent in an appeal and we're waiting to hear the outcome."