Don Williams scored from seven yards out in overtime to give James M. Bennett of Salisbury a 13-7 victory over Oakland Mills and the Maryland state B championship yesterday at the University of Maryland's Byrd Stadium.

Earlier, in the Class C title game, Snow Hill of Worcester County built a 28-0 first-half lead and held on to beat Mount Hebron, 28-18.

Both losing schools represented Howard County.

Today, Northwood plays Thomas Johnson of Frederick for the A title at 11 a.m. and Churchill meets Oxon Hill for the AA crown at 2 p.m.

Bennett (12-0) won the coin toss in overtime and chose to play defense first with both teams given four plays from the 10 to score.

"Our defense only gave up three touchdowns all year and they were outstanding today," Clippers Coach John Usilton said. Willie Sheppard intercepted Tariq Shane's pass on fourth down from the three.

"We knew they had a good kicker who could tie it up if we went for the field goal," said Oakland Mills Coach Ken Klock. "We saw them coming up and decided to use a wham pass. (Eric) Miller was open at first. It would've been tough to run it in on that defense."

Bennett took over and on third down from the seven Williams broke loose and ran in to give the Clippers their first state title.

After a scoreless first half, the game's first touchdown was set up after Oakland Mills failed to gain a first down on a fake punt. On the next play, Sheppard caught the ball on the Scorpion 30, faked out Alan Stovall and raced down the left sideline for a 61-yard touchdown.

Oakland Mills came back when Ed Gough recovered Elmer Davis' fumble on the Bennett 49 and ran it back to the 17 with 1:56 to play. Six plays later, Michael Payne dove over for the score. Shane's extra point forced the overtime.

"I felt we could hold them defensively in the overtime," Klock said of his decision not to go for the two-point conversion.

Snow Hill (9-3) beat Mount Hebron, 45-0, in a 1980 semifinal enroute to its first state crown, and Mount Hebron Coach Ed Holshue said, "I had visions of 1980 when we were down, 14-0. I couldn't believe it was happening again. Perhaps we were tight. We made a lot of stupid mistakes, and turnovers will kill you every time."

Senior fullback William Spicer was Snow Hill's best weapon in the first half with 98 yards and three touchdowns on 13 carries. Spicer's first score came on a two-yard run, three plays after a Jimmy Purnell fumble recovery on the Viking 13. Spicer then recovered a fumble on the Mount Hebron 36, and on the next play, ran up the middle, cut left and dashed into the end zone.

The Eagles made it 22-0 on their next series, driving 53 yards in 12 plays with Spicer breaking several tackles for a 14-yard touchdown run. Mount Hebron (10-2) stopped Spicer from the one on the next series, but the Eagles came right back after John Early's interception, with quarterback Reggie Truitt scoring from the seven to make it 28-0.