he story of Georgetown's 75-40 victory over St. Francis (Pa.) tonight was not found in How They Scored.

Rather, it was in How They Did Not Score.

Poor St. Francis (1-2) didn't have a chance. Georgetown's defense made certain of that.

Bill Martin scored 20 points, Anthony Jones 12 and Patrick Ewing and David Wingate had 10 each. The Hoyas led, 34-14, at halftime and after that the lead rose above the 20s, toward the heavens.

"Our defense is our offense," said Georgetown guard Gene Smith. Tonight he was right. The Hoyas pressed on the full court. They trapped on the half court. The defense made St. Francis shoot 35 percent from the field. It made St. Francis commit 25 turnovers, 19 in the first half. It made St. Francis fail to meet the 45-second shot clock twice. It made St. Francis miserable.

It also made the Hoyas 4-0. Georgetown will play Western Kentucky, which defeated Northern Iowa, 63-57, for the tournament title Saturday at 10 p.m.

"Their press gave us fits. When we passed half court, it was a moral victory," said St. Francis center Lou Schmitt.

"And when we got past half court," said guard Jeff Hamilton, a sophomore from Spingarn High School in the District who scored a team-high 17 points, "we would rush. Just like they wanted us to."

Hoya Coach John Thompson, not surprisingly, had praise for the defense, but said his offense lacked patience. He said, again and again, that his team lacked the talent to be ranked No. 2 nationally. Then, another admission: "We probably are getting better."

Actually, things did not start off working to perfection for Georgetown. The Hoyas committed several turnovers at the start. St. Francis took a 4-0 lead 59 seconds into the game.

Then came the rest of the game.

"After we scored our first four points," St. Francis Coach Dave Magarity said, "I thought we'd never score again."

Wingate scored eight of his 10 points in a 12-0 run that made a two-point lead grow to 24-10 with 6:47 left in the half.

St. Francis guard Kent Sisler hit a long-ranger jumper to break the Hoyas' streak, closing the score to 24-12. But the Hoyas proceeded to score 10 more points. It was 34-12. And over.

Perhaps for the sake of the rout, Martin scored nine points in the first five minutes of the second half, the last basket making it 45-22. The reserves entered.

Martin scored 15 points in the half. Along with his 20 points, he also had eight rebounds in 25 minutes.

"I watched the films of the other games, and I could see I wasn't sprinting back to get into the offense. So I worked hard on that tonight," Martin said.

The sophomore forward confessed films weren't his only messenger. "Coach Thompson kept reminding me too," he said.

But the central topic remained the Hoyas' defense. Magarity said, "Georgetown's defense was the thing. It was just relentless. We got to the point where we were thinking about not making turnovers. You can't do that."

Someone said that the 7-foot Ewing, who scored just two points in the first half and had six rebounds in the game, had disappeared tonight. Something about being held in check.

To which Magarity shook his head and said, "Ewing was everything. We always knew he was there."