Somewhere on almost every basketball team's schedule is an obvious mismatch; case in point, last night at George Washington's Smith Center. The Colonials, still a bit surly following a 21-point loss to St. Peter's Thursday night in New Jersey, took out their frustrations on outmanned Bowie State, 102-51, before 1,200.

George Washington (2-2) dominated the smaller, outclassed Bulldogs from the start and held a 42-16 lead at the half. The spread would have been larger but the overanxious home team missed at least 10 open 15-foot jump shots and made a half-dozen turnovers.

But GW Coach Gerry Gimelstob didn't have many complaints. The Colonials' aggressive man-to-man defense limited Bowie State to four field goals on 21 attempts in the first 20 minutes. One of those baskets was an uncontested layup; the other three were made with defenders hanging on the shooters.

"I told the guys it doesn't matter who we're playing," said Gimelstob, minutes after the Colonials hit 100 points for the first time since scoring 102 and 104 back to back against American and George Mason three seasons ago.

"It could be Howard (Wednesday night at Smith Center), it could be Rutgers or it could be Bowie State," Gimelstob continued. "We're playing 'against GW.' We have to block out everyone, make good passes and execute. I want to see what kind of team I have. I felt we improved on some things we didn't do against St. Peter's. We played hard and didn't take bad shots. It's very easy not to do things like that in a game like this."

Mike Brown led with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Freshmen Darryl Webster and Troy Webster scored 16 and 15, respectively.

The Division II visitors lost the ball 14 times and were called for four charging fouls in the first half.

The Colonials made four of their first five shots for an 8-0 lead three minutes into the game. After a four-minute rest of sorts, George Washington ran off 8-0, 6-0 and 6-0 spells and it was 33-11 with 4:58 left in the half. On the first blitz, Troy Webster had three baskets. On the second, Darryl Webster accounted for two baskets. And so on down the lineup.

Mike Brown led GW's first-half scorers with 12 points. Troy Webster made 10 points, twice dunking off steals, and five assists. GW didn't try a free throw in the half but made 20 of 37 shots, two of them three-pointers by Dave Hobel.

As for the Bulldogs (1-5), the shots wouldn't fall, they couldn't rebound and, most drastic, they couldn't stop GW. With a 7-0 burst early in the second half, GW led, 75-23, with 10 minutes left.