Ralph Sampson fell short of the 17 points he needed to become the third 2,000-career scorer in Virginia history; the Cavaliers were at no loss tonight.

Paced by Othell Wilson's 20 points, Virginia recorded its 103rd win over four seasons, soundly defeating Georgia Tech, 92-69, in an Atlantic Coast Conference game.

The fifth-ranked Cavaliers (20-3, 8-2 in the ACC) relied on consistent outside shooting (50 percent) and an inside game which drew 32 Tech fouls to put away the vistors (10-11, 3-8) despite freshman Mark Price's 31 points and 11 three-pointers by the Yellow Jackets.

"Obviously we didn't play well," said Georgia Tech Coach Bobby Cremins. "We're a young team and for us to play well we have to have an inside game. Tonight we didn't have any inside game."

Virginia's offense abided by a rather physical philosophy, maneuvering in close for layups and short jumpers, pounding the offensive boards and capitalizing on Tech fouls. The Cavaliers made 36 of 43 free throws.

After a Sampson jumper with a minute gone in the second half, Rick Carlisle made two of those free throws after being fouled on a follow shot.

Voicing his disgust, Cremins added to Tech's deficit, earning a technical which Carlisle converted for a 47-27 Virginia lead with 18:03 remaining in the game.

Two more free throws made by Ricky Stokes gave Virginia a 57-33 lead. At this point, Tech moved to its three-point game. Over the next seven minutes the Yellow Jackets made six bombs to cut Virginia's lead to 69-54 with 7:20 left.

Price, the nation's leading three-point shooter, accounted for three of those long-range shots (five of 13 in the game).

But Virginia responded with six consecutive points to boost its advantage to 20 and coasted to victory.

The Cavaliers' margin hit a high of 30 points with two minutes remaining on two Stokes foul shots.

Virginia controlled this match from the opening tap, after which Sampson moved inside, was fouled on his jumper and scored the game's first two points on free throws.

With 14:14 remaining in the first half, Craig Robinson, who ended with 17 points, made a short turnaround jumper to begin a 12-point Cavalier burst. A Wilson three-pointer from 19 feet ended the streak, Virginia ahead, 18-7.

Two consecutive three-pointers by Wilson and Jim Miller accounted for Virginia's largest first-half lead, 38-20, with 1:34 remaining.

"The key to the game was that we got off to a good start and made them take tough shots in the first half," Virginia Coach Terry Holland said. Tech shot 20 percent from the field in the first half, 32 percent overall.

"I thought we played really well coming off our loss to Carolina (a one-pointer to North Carolina)," Miller, who scored 11 points, said. "We had a very good practice on Saturday. It was important for us to come out and play well, and I think we did."