Marcia Richardson scored 16 points the first half and, with fellow guard Debbie Lytle, directed a devastating fast break that gave Maryland an 85-67 victory over Clemson in an Atlantic Coast Conference game at Cole Field House last night.

Maryland (21-2, 10-2 in the ACC) trailed, 14-11, nearly six minutes into the contest before Richardson's steal and layup and Lytle's reverse layup off a pass from Jasmina Perazic put the Terrapins ahead, 17-14, two minutes later.

With 10:40 to go in the first half, Maryland led, 21-20. Then Lytle and Richardson started running the fast break to perfection and the Tigers (9-14, 3-7) began missing their 15-footers. The Terrapins outscored Clemson, 23-6, in the next nine minutes. At halftime, Maryland was in front, 48-32, and the crowd gave the defending ACC champions a standing ovation as they ran off the court.

"We wanted to make them run," Coach Chris Weller said. "I felt we had control all game, even when we were losing, because we were running. Debbie started out like a house afire and Chequita (Wood) was into it. Maybe she's tired of sitting on the bench so much."

Clemson was never closer than 16 points in the second half. Perazic, who had only four points the first half, doubled that total in the next 4:15. Her final basket came on a fast break that gave the Terrapins a 60-36 lead.

Janet Knight kept Clemson in contention with eight points in the first 6 1/2 minutes of the half, but Lea Hakala's two layups on fast breaks finished off the Tigers. Maryland led, 73-47, with 10 minutes to go and Weller emptied her bench.

"We weren't getting as many fast breaks before," Richardson said. "Now we're getting the rebounds. You can't run without the ball."

Richardson continued her shooting streak with 23 points on nine for 15. Hakala had 15 points. Lytle and Perazic each scored 12. Mary Anne Cubelic led Clemson with 18, but 6-foot-4 center Peggy Caple, who had 23 points against Maryland at Clemson, was held to seven before fouling out with eight minutes to go.