This time, Boston College didn't let victory dribble 75 feet in the wrong direction.

Instead, the No. 19 Eagles rallied behind John Garris' 25 points, Jay Murphy's 20 points and Michael Adams 19 points of sorcery to defeat No. 18 Georgetown, 87-85, in overtime before 14,141 at Boston Garden.

Just like the Hoyas' recent 65-63 loss at Pittsburgh, this game wasn't over until Georgetown freshman guard Horace Broadnax's 30-foot desperation shot hit the front of the rim and bounced off as the buzzer sounded.

And, oh, there was glory in that Boston College locker room afterward. The victory improved Boston College to 21-5, 11-4 in the Big East.

"And we still have a chance to win the conference. If Georgetown beats Villanova (Saturday) and we beat Providence . . . Even if we finish in a three-way tie with Villanova and St. John's I think we'll win it," said Boston College Coach Gary Williams, a twinkle in his eye.

For the Hoyas, this one brought a black eye. Georgetown is 19-8, 9-5 in the conference. The Hoyas lost despite 26 points by freshman guard Michael Jackson, who made 10 of 16 shots, in his most glamorous performance since scoring 31 points way back when against Syracuse.

Further, the Hoyas lost despite forcing the usually accurate Eagles to shoot 39 percent from the field.

They lost despite leading by six points with 1:49 left in regulation. That is when Georgetown's 7-foot Patrick Ewing, who totaled 16 points and 14 rebounds in his return home tonight, fouled out.

At which point the walls of Georgetown's Jericho came tumbling down.

"It's a real psychological downfall when Patrick fouls out," said Georgetown guard Gene Smith.

"That does make it easier for us to score because Patrick was not there to bother us," said Williams.

With Ewing out, the Eagles outscored Georgetown, 8-2, to force overtime.

When Adams made an 18-footer from the right side, the Eagles led, 86-85, with two minutes left in overtime.

Then Georgetown reserve center Victor Morris--playing in a foul-depleted lineup with Smith, Jackson, David Blue and David Wingate--missed the front end of a one-and-one with 1:29 left and Boston College rebounded.

But Smith proceeded to steal the ball from Adams with 59 seconds left.

The Hoyas, trailing by one point, ran the clock down to 23 seconds, looking for their own game-winner, when Jackson was called for travelling.

But Smith, an MX missile-sized threat on defense, stole the Eagles' subsequent inbounds pass with 20 seconds left in overtime. Another Georgetown possibility was created.

The Hoyas then pass, pass, passed until Jackson missed a 20-footer from the right side with six seconds left. Boston College's Garris rebounded and was fouled with three seconds left.

Garris, who made 15 of 17 free throws, made the first free throw, improving the Boston College lead to 87-85. When he missed the second, the Hoyas rebounded and the long pass went to Broadnax. "I thought it was in," Broadnax said of his shot.

It missed.

"The freshmen are getting better. Tonight they had another baptism under fire," Georgetown Coach John Thompson said afterward, taking a slightly forlorn posture. " . . . I think now we are as ready as we're going to be. But I don't know what that is."

For the first 38 minutes tonight, these teams lived their life in the fast lane. The Hoyas couldn't cope with the Eagles' full-court press and kept committing turnovers (20 in all) that, often enough, led to a BC fast break.

And the Eagles couldn't cope with the Hoyas' half-court defenses, which led to 18 BC turnovers and numerous Smith-led fast breaks.

Which brings us to an 80-74 Georgetown lead with two minutes left in regulation. This is when Ewing fouled out. In those final two minutes, the front end of one-and-one free throws were missed by Georgetown reserve center Ralph Dalton (with 40 seconds left) and by Jackson, an 83 percent free throw marksman. Jackson missed with 21 seconds left, the score tied at 82.

That's when BC rebounded and called timeout with 12 seconds left in regulation. On Jan. 29, Boston College's tiny guard, Adams, drove the lane on a set play for a possible game-winner, but Jackson tipped the ball away to Wingate, who drove 75 feet for the game winner at the buzzer.

"I was thinking, 'They aren't going to knock the ball out of my hand this time,' " said Adams, who scored 15 of his 19 points in the first half. He suffered leg cramps and missed a large portion of the second half.

"It was kind of like a deja vu," said Williams.

But Martin Clark missed a 16-footer with four seconds left and Garris missed a follow shot underneath at the buzzer. Which brought overtime. Which brought Boston College victory. Which brought a lot of glory to BC's Garden party.

"We're not there yet," said Williams, the former American University coach. "But this is nice."