In its first North American Soccer League game, Team America defeated Soccer Bowl '82 runner-up Seattle, 1-0, in a shootout at the Kingdome.

Boris Bandov and Dan Canter got shots in the net for Team America in the shootout, during which Team America had a 2-1 advantage. Canter's game-winner came on a hard right-footed shot in the fourth round of the tie breaker.

Ex-Seattle goalie Paul Hammond saved four of five Seattle shootout attempts. Alan Hudson made Seattle's one good shot.

The game was more than exercise in futility than it was a display of American soccer prowess. Although Team America had several scoring opportunities, Seattle goalkeeper Joel Corrigan didn't make his first save until five minutes remained in the second of two overtime periods--or 99 minutes after the game began.

Seattle took the initiative in the first 7 1/2-minute overtime, holding the ball in Team America's end of the field for most of the period. Team America captain Jeff Durgan received the game's only yellow card caution after tripping the Sounders' Peter Ward with 3:15 left. But Seattle failed to capitalize on the free kick opportunity.

Team America had its best chance with 5:40 left in the second overtime when Tony Crescitelli's header lofted toward the corner of the Sounders' goal, but Corrigan used all of his 6-foot-4 frame to tap the ball away.

The midfielders controlled the flow of play for most of the first half. Ward, the most valuable player in the NASL last year, took the game's first shot for Seattle--seven minutes after the opening kickoff.

Team America started with two players--Alan Green and Bandov--who had been added to the roster only Thursday.

Seattle had an apparent goal disallowed with 33:50 remaining in the half. Defender Ian Bridge headed John Bain's cross past Team America goalie Hammond, but referee Dante Maglio ruled Bridge was offside.

Team America, although outplayed in the first 45 minutes, did get its shots. With 15 minutes remaining before halftime, the midfielders worked a clever one-two play for Perry Van Der Beck. His shot, from 14 yards out on the right side, sailed well over the cross bar.

Hammond, making his first appearance in Seattle since last September's Soccer Bowl, when he played for the Sounders, fared well in the first half. He saved three shots and handled his ex-teammates' crosses with apparent ease.

Team America had 15 fouls in the opening half, compared to Seattle's five. The Sounders had the shooting advantage, 7-4, in the first half.

The Kingdome crowd of 16,736 probably had to fight off yawns as the teams struggled to find the right combinations through much of the second half, which ended in a scoreless tie.

Scoring chances for Team America were few. With 20 minutes left in the game, forward Andy Parkinson teed up a loose ball after Crescitelli lost control at the top of the penalty area. Parkinson's left-footed shot went two yards wide of the left goal post.

Parkinson, added to the Team America roster only Monday, entered the game with 26:51 left as a substitute for Green, who was injured in a collision with Seattle goalkeeper Corrigan. Green, hobbled by a bruised right thigh, left the field with the aid of two teammates.